April 29, 2011
|The 2011 Big 12 Women's Tennis Championships|
|Semifinals||(3) Oklahoma vs. (2) Texas or (7) Kansas State, 3 p.m.|
|Location||Baylor Tennis Center|
|Internet||Big 12 Championships Central|
WACO, Texas – The third-seeded Oklahoma women’s tennis team defeated No. 6 seed Texas Tech, 4-1, on Friday in the quarterfinals of the 2011 Big 12 Championships in Waco, Texas.
With the win, Oklahoma (17-5, 10-2 Big 12) advances to Saturday’s semifinal round and will play the winner of No. 2 Texas vs. No. 7 Kansas State at 3 p.m.. The Longhorns and Wildcats play Friday at noon.
“We had another great team effort today and looked good almost everywhere,” OU Head Coach David Mullins said. “Doubles will have to be a little better tomorrow but I am confident it will be.”
OU’s freshmen class led the Sooners to victory over the Lady Raiders. After winning the doubles point, OU clinched the win with three points in singles from all three freshmen, Mia Lancaster, Alice Radu and Whitney Ritchie.
Radu clinched the win for OU at the No. 2 position. Radu took the first set against Adams, 6-1, but dropped the second set, 6-2. Radu rallied to take the tiebreaker, 6-4, and secured the Sooners’ spot in championship semifinals.
“I was really happy that Alice closed the match out for us,” Mullins added. “She definitely deserved the win.”
The newcomers also played a part in the doubles point win. Lancaster and Ritchie defeated Caroline Starck and Nikki Sanders at the No. 2 spot, 8-4, to win their 12th straight conference match and improve to 14-1.
Radu and partner Ana-Maria Constantinescu secured the doubles point win for OU after topping Samantha Adams and Kelsy Garland at the No. 1 spot, 8-6.
Lancaster won OU’s first singles point at the No. 6 position after defeating Haley Fournier of Tech, 6-2, 6-1.
Ritchie extended the Sooners’ lead to 3-0 with a win over Garland at the No. 4 spot, 6-1, 6-3.
The Lady Raiders claimed their only dual point of the day at the No. 6 singles spot. OU’s Maria Kalashnikova fell to Tech’s Sanders, 6-2, 6-1.
Constantinescu led Elizabeth Ullathorne at the No. 1 singles spot, 7-6 (3), 5-4, and Huet led Starck at the No. 3 spot, 7-5, 6-5, but did not finish after the match was decided.
(3) Oklahoma 4, (6) Texas Tech 1
1. No. 47 Constantinescu/Radu (OU) def. Adams/Garland (TTU), 8-6
2. Lancaster/Ritchie (OU) def. Starck/Sanders (TTU), 8-4
3. Ullathorne/Fournier (TTU) def. Eckel/Huet (OU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. No. 124 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) led No. 119 Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTU), 7-6 (3), 5-4, DNF
2. Alice Radu (OU) def. Samantha Adams (TTU), 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
3. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) led Caroline Starck (TTU), 7-5, 6-5, DNF
4. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Kelsy Garland (TTU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Haley Fournier (TTU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Nikki Sanders (TTU) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6, 2*