NORMAN, Okla. -- The No. 32-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis team fell, 6-1, on Sunday, April 15 to the No. 13 Texas Longhorns. The loss put the Sooners at 17-5 on the season and 1-2 in Big 12 play.
Oklahoma started off with a sweep in doubles, taking wins at all three spots. The first match was No. 3 doubles where the pair of Ryan Thomas and Marek Velicka defeated Texas’ Luis Diaz Barriga and Bernhard Deussner, 8-5.
At the No. 1 spot the OU duo of Federico Chavarria and Andrei Daescu took an early 6-1 lead over Dimitar Kutrovsky and Josh Zavala. The Texas team then won six straight games and took a 7-6 lead. The Sooners answered back, bringing the match to 8-8. The teams then decided the match in a tie-breaker with OU taking an 8-7 (5) victory.
The momentum turned in singles action with Texas sweeping all six spots.
"Texas is a solid team," said OU head coach Paul Lockwood. "They have solid players at all spots. I thought we had good intensity and fought hard, they just played better then we did."
At No. 1 singles, Sooner standout Vaclav Kucera was defeated in straight sets, both of which ended in tie-breakers, by UT’s Dimitar Kutrovsky.
At the No. 6 spot junior Federico Chavarria fell 6-4, 6-3 to Jonah Kane-West.
“He was a very consistent player,” said Chavarria. “He hit two-handed on both sides, which was tough. I thought I played okay, I just didn’t execute like I needed to.”
The Sooners will return to action on Tuesday, April 17 to finish the match with Oklahoma State that was postponed last week. The teams will face off at 4 p.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
Oklahoma 1, Texas 6
3-15-07 at Norman, Okla.
1. Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT) def. Vaclav Kucera (OU) 7-6 (3), 7-6 (5).
2. Miguel Reyes Varela (UT)def. Marek Velicka (OU) 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Luis Diaz Barriga (UT) def. Andrei Daescu (OU) 6-4, 7-6 (10)
4. Josh Zavala (UT) def. Rob McKenzie (OU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Rook Schellenberg (UT) def, Ryan Thomas (OU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jonah Kane-West (UT) def. Federico Chavarria (OU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2, 6, 1, 3
1. Chavarria/ Daescu (OU) def. Kutrovsky/ Zavala (UT) 8-7 (5)
2. McKenzie/ Kucera (OU) def. Reyes Varela/ Kane-West (UT) 8-6
3. Velicka. Thomas (OU) def. Barriga/ Deussner (UT) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1