NORMAN, Okla-- The Oklahoma men’s tennis team claimed its ninth straight victory Saturday defeating Navy, 7-0, at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. The Sooners swept the doubles and the singles. The Sooners move to 9-0 on the season while the Midshipmen fall to 8-4.
The Sooners, who haven’t lost a doubles point this season, continued their strong performance against the Midshipmen. OU’s No. 1 doubles team of junior Tommy Garrison and senior Ondrej Fukala clinched the opening point on an ace by Garrison to win 8-5 over Navy’s Brandon Carter and Alex James . The duo improve to a flawless 6-0 in doubles play. At the No. 2 position, senior Silviu Tanasoiu and sophomore Marek Velicka dominated the Mids’ Davy Lee and Adrian Lai, 8-2, giving them a spring record of 7-1.
“Ondrej and I had a lot of success in doubles last year. We came out this year and that momentum just carried over. We haven’t done anything flashy. We’re just playing solid doubles,” said Garrison.
The Sooners came out firing in the singles, winning five of the six positions in straight sets. With standout Velicka leading the way at the No. 1 spot by defeating Carter, 6-0, 6-2. In the most exciting match of the day, junior Alexei Ivanov defeated Lee in a tiebreaker, 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3). Fukala, Garrison, Tanasoiu and junior Lee Gregg all posted singles victories for the Sooners.
Fukala and Tanasoiu are both undefeated in singles play this Spring with records of 7-0 and 7-0, respectively.
The Sooners will continue their stretch of home matches when they face regional foes ORU and Wichita State next week. OU will play the Golden Eagles on Wednesday, March 9 at 2 p.m. and the Shockers on Sunday, March 13 at 12 p.m.
For more information on OU tennis visit www.SoonerSports.com.
Oklahoma 7, Navy 0
Saturday, March 5, 2005
OU Headington Family Tennis Center
1. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Brandon Carter (Navy), 6-0, 6-2
2. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Davy Lee (Navy), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-3)
3. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Adrian Lai (Navy), 6-0, 6-1
4. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Stanley Kahl (Navy), 6-1, 6-0
5. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Alex James (Navy), 6-3, 6-1
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Haley Dodson (Navy), 6-1, 6-1
1. Garrison/Fukala (OU) def. Carter/James (Navy), 8-5
2. Tanasoiu/Velicka (OU) def. Lee/Lai (Navy), 8-2
3. Ivanov/Thomas (OU) def. Kahl/Nathan Malnati (Navy), 8-6