Jan. 29, 2012
LOS ANGELES – The 25th-ranked OU women’s tennis team won the consolation match of the Los Angeles bracket of the 2012 ITA Kick-Off Weekend after defeating No. 49 Utah Saturday, 4-1, at the UCLA Tennis Center.
“Tonight was another really tough match for us,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “Mia and Abbi really stepped up to close out the doubles point and then continued their great play into singles.”
Utah won the first doubles match at the No. 2 spot, but OU took the next two matches to win the doubles point and take the early 1-0 lead.
“I thought we fought extremely hard on every court and we showed that we will be a tough team to beat as long as we compete like this every time we step on the court,” Mullins said.
The Sooners’ 22nd-ranked duo of Marie-Pier Huet and Whitney Ritchie won at the No. 1 position, beating Callie Craig and Anastasia Putilina of Utah, 8-5, while OU’s Abbi Melrose and Mia Lancaster defeated Utah’s Danielle Flores and Lucia Kovarcikova, 9-7, at the No. 3 position.
Utah tied the match, 1-1, after claiming the first singles point but the Sooners responded by winning three straight singles points to secure the dual win.
Lancaster won OU’s first singles point at the No. 3 spot, defeating Utah’s Craig, 6-3, 6-1, followed by Melrose beating Natasha Smith at the No. 4 spot, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
Huet won OU’s fourth dual point to clinch the win over the Utes. The senior defeated Sarah Pham of Utah at the No. 2 spot, 6-4, 7-6(4), to secure the victory.
Next up, the Sooners face No. 22 Tulsa on Saturday, Feb. 4 at 5 p.m., at TU’s Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
No. 25 Oklahoma 4, No. 49 Utah 1
1. No. 22 Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Craig/Putilina (UTAH) 8-5
2. Paige Miles/Pham (UTAH) def. Long/Wofford (OU) 8-6
3. Melrose/Lancaster (OU) def. Flores/Kovarcikova (UTAH) 9-7
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Anastasia Putilina (UTAH) def. No. 90 Whitney Ritchie (OU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Sarah Pham (UTAH) 6-4, 7-6(4)
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Callie Craig (UTAH) 6-3, 6-1
4. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Natasha Smith (UTAH) 7-6(4), 6-3
5. Whitney Wofford (OU) vs. Danielle Flores (UTAH) 6-3, 3-6, 5-2, unfinished
6. Nicole Long (OU) vs. Lucia Kovarcikova (UTAH) 4-6, 6-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 2