The Oklahoma men’s tennis team defeated regional opponent Oral Roberts, 7-0, for the sixth consecutive season on Friday, at the Philcrest Hills Racquet Club in Tulsa. The win bumps OU to a perfect 3-0 record and leaves ORU with a 0-4 record.
“We came out on top in both singles and doubles,” said head coach Paul Lockwood. “That made the night much easier for us. We’re getting better day by day.”
Sophomore Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) and freshman newcomer Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) continue to remain undefeated as a No. 1 doubles team with an 8-4 win over ORU’s Tyrone Hill and Adam Ehrlich.
Sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) and junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) knocked off ORU’s Wessel Kemp and Chris Moore, 8-6. The Sooner pair now have a record of 14-2 at No. 2 doubles since the 2003 season.
Velicka and junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) shut out their opponents in singles action. Sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) posted his second win of the season at No. 1 singles against ORU’s Tyrone Hill, 6-4, 6-4.
Sooner newcomers Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) and Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) also came out on top in singles, receiving straight-set victories. Fukala won his first No. 2 singles match against ORU’s Wessel Kemp, 6-2, 6-1, and Gregg swept ORU’s Patrick Guillard for his second win at No. 6 singles.
The only tough win of the night was Garrison defeating ORU’s Chris Moore in a three-set match. Garrison dominated Moore in the first set at 6-0, but Moore fought back in the second set, edging Garrison, 5-7. The final set was an easy victory for the Sooners, with Garrison only dropping one game for a 6-1 score.
Oklahoma travels to Las Vegas next weekend to play in the UNLV Invitational. Action is set to begin at 9 a.m. each day, beginning on Friday and lasting through Sunday.
For daily Oklahoma results, visit www.soonersports.com.
Oklahoma 7, def. Oral Roberts 0
Friday, February 6, 2004
Philcrest Hills Racquet Club, Tulsa, Okla.
1. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Tyrone Hill (ORU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Wessel Kemp (ORU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Adam Ehrlich (ORU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Chris Moore (ORU), 6-0, 5-7, 6-1
5. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Umair Qayyum (ORU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Patrick Guilliod (ORU), 6-0, 6-1
1. Tommy Garrison/Marek Velicka (OU) def. Tyrone Hill/Adam Ehrlich (ORU), 8-4
2. Alexei Ivanov/Matt Long (OU) def. Wessel Kemp/Chris Moore (ORU), 8-6
3. Silviu Tanasoiu/Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Umair Qayyum/Patrick Guilliod (ORU), 8-1