Nov. 20, 2010
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma men’s golf coach Ryan Hybl announced his 2011 recruiting class Saturday, adding three highly ranked golfers to the Sooners’ squad.
Austen Fuller of Edmond North H.S. in Edmond, Okla., Michael Gellerman of Sterling H.S. in Sterling, Kans., and Charlie Saxon of Casica Hall Preparatory School in Tulsa, Okla., all signed National Letters of Intent during this week’s early signing period and will begin competing for the Sooners beginning in fall 2011.
According to Junior Golf Scoreboard, all three Sooner recruits rank in the top 100 in the nation of the 2011 recruiting class. Saxon ranks 41st, Fuller is 77th and Gellerman holds the 78th spot.
Fuller boasts a second-place finish at the 2010 Oklahoma 6A State Championship. The Edmond-native also placed first at the 2010 OJGT Tournament of Champions.
“Austin really showed me a lot over the summer,” said Hybl. “He shoots a lot of low numbers and is a very good ball striker. We’re really looking forward to seeing his productivity in college because I think he’s going to be a great college player.”
Gellerman, the runner-up for the 2010 Kansas Junior Player of the Year, placed first in both the 2009 and 2010 Kansas Regional Championship. He also finished fifth at the 2010 Kansas 3A State Championship, and claimed first place in the 2009 Kansas 3A State Championship.
“Michael is another great student,” said Hybl. “He’s very athletic. He hasn’t played very much nationally, that might be why a lot of people don’t know him, but he has a lot of raw talent and loves to win golf tournaments. I’m looking forward to having him. His leadership and athleticism will take him a long way while he’s here at OU.”
Saxon, the 2010 Tulsa World All-Metro Player of the Year, won the 2010 Oklahoma 3A State Championship. He also holds a 3.90 cumulative weighted GPA and has been awarded honors roll every year in high school.
“Obviously, we’re really excited about Charlie Saxon coming to be a part of our golf program,” said Hybl. “Charlie had a great summer this past summer, and kind of revived his golf game after struggling the year before. He’s a really hard worker and a great student, so we’re really excited about having Charlie.”
| Austen Fuller
- Placed second individually at 2010 Oklahoma 6A State Championship
- Claimed first place at the 2010 OJGT Tournament of Champions
- 2010 Oklahoma Golf Association Junior Boys Stroke Play Champion
- Won the 2010 AJGA Bob Estes Abilene Junior
- Named to the 2010 All-City Golf First Team
- Named to the 2010 All-Edmond Golf First Team
- Runner-up at the 2010 OJGT Oklahoma High School All-Star Challenge
| Michael Gellerman
- 2010 Kansas Junior Player of the Year runner-up
- Finished in fifth place at 2010 Kansas 3A State Championship
- Won both the 2009 and 2010 Kansas 3A Regional Championship
- 2010 US Junior Amateur Championship qualifier
- Won the 2009 Kansas 3A State Championship
- 2009 and 2010 USGA amateur qualifier
- 2009 and 2010 Kansas Cup team member
- 2009 Kansas Junior Player of the Year
- Won nine high school tournaments in 2009
- Won the 2008 Kansas 2A State Championship
| Charlie Saxon
- Placed first at the 2010 Oklahoma 3A State Championship
- Finished in second place at the 2010 OGA Junior Match Play
- Finished in second place at the 2010 US Amateur Qualifier
- Named 2010 Tulsa World All-Metro Player of the Year
- Placed first at the US Junior Amateur Qualifier
- Posted a top-five finish in 2010 AJGA at Kansas City
- Finished in second place at OJGT/ TJGT Red River Championship
- Named to the 2009 Tulsa World All-Metro First Team
- Five first place finishes in 2009, including Oklahoma 3A State Championship
- Holds a 3.90 cumulative weighted GPA