LAWRENCE, Kan. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team (7-10, 1-4) dropped a 5-2 decision to Kansas on Saturday at the Robinson Courts in Lawrence.
The contest began with KU sweeping all three doubles matches. Sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr took the No. 1 position where they fell to Ksenia Bukina and Elizaveta Avdeeva, 8-5. At No. 2, sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina were defeated by Lauren Hommell and Edina Horvath, while juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice fell to Christine Skoda and Stephanie Smith at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, the Sooners recorded wins at the No. 1 and No. 4 positions. Baker topped Bukina in straight sets at No. 1 to earn her third consecutive dual victory. Baxley also notched a win in a three-set match over Hommell, despite dropping the first set.
Also competing for Oklahoma in singles were Lykina, Purice, Orr and freshman Gabriela Nastasa.
The Sooners will compete in one final road match this weekend before returning to Norman. The team will travel to Manhattan, Kan., on Sunday to face Kansas State at 12 p.m.
1. Bukina/Avdeeva (KU) def. Baker/Orr (OU), 8-5
2. Hommell/Horvath (KU) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-6
3. Skoda/Smith (KU) def. Carter/Purice (OU), 8-3
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Ksenia Bukina (KU), 7-6(3), 7-5
2. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 7-6(2), 4-6, 6-2
3. Christine Skoda (KU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Christi Baxley (OU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Edina Horvath (KU) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Gabriela Nastasa (OU), 6-1, 6-3