May 12, 2012
NORMAN, Okla. -- No. 20 Tulsa upset No. 10 Oklahoma, 4-1, on the Sooners' home court to advance to the round of 16 in Athens, Ga., for the second straight season.
It also made it back-to-back seasons for Oklahoma being eliminated in the tournament by Tulsa after the Hurricane beat the Sooners in the first round in Norman in 2011.
"I would like to congratulate Tulsa on playing a great match today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "They were very deserving of the victory."
Tulsa claimed the doubles point with the deciding match at the No. 3 spot. Japie De Klerk and Alejandro Espejo had match point wrestled away twice before beating Oklahoma's David Pultr and Lawrence Formentera, 8-6.
Eleventh-ranked Ashley Watling and Clifford Marsland dropped the 10th-ranked Sooners, Costin Paval and Dane Webb, 8-4, in No. 1 doubles.
The Sooners battled well in singles, winning four first sets, but failed to capitalize on the early advantages.
"We did a good job of capturing four first sets after losing the doubles point," Roddick said. "We did not solidify those leads whatsoever and, at this level, you cannot afford to do that."
OU freshman Dane Webb evened the score with a victory in No. 4 singles, 6-2-6-2, over Grant Ive. But that was the last team point the Sooners would gain.
Marsland and Watling determined the match-winning points. Marsland fought off OU's Guillermo Alcorta in a second-set tiebreaker to win at No. 2 singles. Watling dominated a third set against Tsvetsan Mihov at the No. 3 spot before being tackled his teammates in celebration.
"It was two great teams battling," Tulsa head coach Vince Westbrook said. "We knew it was going to be a prize fight, just like the last time we played. After we lost to Oklahoma the last time, we won, I think 14 of 15 matches, so we've been on a pretty good roll."
It was a bitter end for the Sooners, who had their best season and highest ranking in the program's history and swept the Big 12 regular season and tournament championships.
"We will take a lot of positives out of this year, but it does not lessen the sting of this loss," Roddick continued. "I wish Tulsa luck in Athens."
Saturday, May 12, 2012 | NCAA Men's Second Round | Oklahoma vs. Tulsa
Oklahoma (19-4) 1
Tulsa (20-8) 4
1. Costin Paval, Oklahoma (15-3) vs. Japie DeKlerk, Tulsa (7-13) 6-3, DNF (6-6)
2. Clifford Marsland, Tulsa (18-7) def. Guillermo Alcorta, Oklahoma (16-5) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Ashley Watling, Tulsa (18-6) def. Tsvetan Mihov, Oklahoma (9-13) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
4. Dane Webb, Oklahoma (21-1) def. Grant Ive, Tulsa (16-8) 6-2, 6-2
5. Tristan Jackson, Tulsa (17-7) def. Peerakit Siributwong, Oklahoma (14-8) 6-2, 6-2
6. David Pultr,Oklahoma (11-6) vs. Alejandro Espejo, Tulsa (12-5) 6-3, 6-7, DNF (1-2)
1. Watling/Marsland, Tulsa (18-6) def. Paval/Webb, Oklahoma (17-4) 8-4
2. Mihov/Siributwong, Oklahoma (17-5) def. Ive/Jackson, Tulsa (9-6) 8-4
3. De Klerk/Espejo, Tulsa (5-1) def. Pultr/Formentera, Oklahoma (14-5) 8-6
Order of Finish
Singles - 4, 5, 2, 3
Doubles - 1, 2, 3