Sooners Drop Big 12 Opener
March 4, 2009
WACO, Texas -- The University of Oklahoma men's tennis team (6-4) dropped its Big 12 debut against the 12th-ranked Baylor Bears, 6-1, at the Baylor Tennis Complex Wednesday afternoon, March 4.
“We fought hard and gave it our all,” head coach Paul Lockwood said. “We are going to come back, practice, and get ready for San Diego on Saturday.”
OU fell behind early and was never able to recover. The Bears jumped out to a 1-0 lead after capturing the doubles point.
In singles competition, OU faced the daunting task of replacing freshman George Chanturia. Filling in for him at the No. 6 position was freshman Andrew Oatman, a transfer from Southern Illinois. Oatman fell, 6-1, in both sets to the Bears’ Maros Horny.
A bright spot for the Sooners was Ionut Beleleu. Despite losing his first set, 3-6, Beleleu rallied by taking the next two sets 6-3, 1-0 (12-10).
OU returns home to the new state-of-the-art Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion Saturday, March 7, at 4 p.m., to take on 63rd-ranked San Diego.
Following its match against San Diego OU will host a vigorous three-match stretch that includes 36th-ranked Texas A&M, third-ranked Texas and 34th-ranked Rice.
1. (#8) Denes Lukacs (BU) def. (#97) Andrei Daescu (OU), 6-3, 6-7 (0-7), 1-0 (10-7)
2. (#30) Jordan Rux (BU) def. David Pultr (OU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Julian Bley (BU) def. Sergey Avdeyev (OU), 7-5, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Dominik Mueller (BU), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10)
5. (#90) Attila Bucko (BU) def. Blake Boswell (OU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Maros Horny (BU) def. Andrew Oatman (OU), 6-1, 6-1
1. Galic/Rux (BU) def. Beleleu/Avdeyev (OU), 8-5
2. Daescu/Pultr (OU) def. Bucko/Bruche (BU), 8-5
3. Lukacs/Horny (BU) def. Boswell/Oatman (OU), 8-3