NORMAN, Okla.The No. 23 Oklahoma men’s tennis team fell to Nebraska (2-5) in their first conference match Friday in Lincoln, Neb.
The Sooners began the night picking up the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 slots. At No. 2 doubles, junior Federico Chavarria and sophomore Rob McKenzie downed the Cornhuskers’ David Benheim and Mark Tate, 8-3. Competing at the No. 3 slot, the OU tandem of senior Marek Velicka and junior Ryan Thomas dropped an 8-2 decision on the Nebraska duo of Francois Van Impe and Marton Zsiaga.
After doubles play, the match went downhill as OU was only successful in one singles match. Velicka picked up the only win for Oklahoma defeating Nebraska’s Hendrik Stahmer at the No.3 slot, 6-4, 6-2.
The loss snapped the Sooners’ six-game winning streak and was their first loss in conference play. Nebraska’s conference win was its first since 2003. Oklahoma is now 16-2 overall and 0-1 in Big 12 play.
OU will return to Norman Tuesday, April 3 to face No. 32 Tulsa. The two teams will square off at 6 p.m. at the Headington Family Tennis Center. Live scoring of the match will be available at SoonerSports.com with a recap following the end of play.
Doubles (NU 0, OU 1)
1. Clow/Szatmary (NU) def. Daescu/Kucera (OU) 8-4
2. Chavarria/McKenzie (OU) def. Bendheim/Tate (NU) 8-3
3. Thomas/Velicka (OU) def. Van Impe/Zsiga (NU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Singles (NU 5, OU 1)
1. Adrian Szatmary (NU) def. No. 83 Vaclav Kucera (OU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
2. David Bendheim (NU) def. No. 78 Andrei Daescu (OU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Hendrik Stahmer (NU) 6-4, 6-2
4. James Clow (NU) def. Rob McKenzie (OU) 7-6(4), 7-5
5. Marton Zsiga (NU) def. Federico Chavarria (OU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Renato Melo (NU) def. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4, 2, 1, 6