NORMAN, Okla.- The women's tennis team made a stop at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station Saturday to take on Texas A&M for the 13th consecutive season. The Aggies defeated the Sooners, 6-1, taking a 16-4 series lead.
The Sooners, who have played a consistent line-up over the past few matches, had to change things up due to junior Gabby Baker's knee injury.
Senior Irina Lykina led Oklahoma at the No. 4 spot and claimed Oklahoma’s only win. Saturday’s win was Lykina’s fourth straight victory. She defeated Anna Blagodarova in three sets, taking the first set 6-4. She dropped the second, 3-6, before closing out the match 12-10 in a super tie-breaker played for the third set.
OU will head to Austin to take on the Longhorns Sunday at 12 p.m. This will be the 19th meeting of the two teams with Oklahoma trailing 1-17.
No. 26 Texas A&M 6, Oklahoma 1
3/24/07 at College Station
1. (#24) Anna Lubinsky (A&M) def. Monica Purice (OU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Sarah Foster (A&M) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Anna Blagodarova (A&M), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10)
4. (#83) Elze Potgieter (A&M) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 7-6 (4), 6-2
5. Nicki Mechem (A&M) def. Anne Carter (OU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Marisa Druss (A&M) def. Elena Antakova (OU), 6-3, 6-2
1. (#42) Clifford/Foster (A&M) def. Baker/Lykina (OU), 8-2
2. (#32) Lubinsky/Mechem (A&M) def. Baxley/Purice (OU), 8-6
3. Blagodarova/Michelle Sammons (A&M) def. Rachael Cox/Orr (OU), 8-4