March 5, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas - The No. 35 Oklahoma men's tennis (4-4) were defeated by No. 29 TCU, 4-3 on Wednesday night on the campus of Texas Christian University.
No. 27 Andrei Daescu upset No. 21 Cosmin Cotet at No. 1 singles, 6-2, (3-6), 7-5.
TCU began the night taking all three doubles matches and with Daescu's victory OU tied the score at 1-1. The win also moved Daescu's season record to 6-2.
"We played well tonight, give TCU all the credit they outplayed us and came up with the win, but I was happy to see us compete at a high level against a very quality opponent and we did it on the road," head coach Paul Lockwood said.
Sergey Avdeyev put Oklahoma in the lead at 2-1 with his victory at No. 2 singles. Avdeyev defeated Emanu Brighiu in straight sets, 6-3, 7-5. Avdeyev now holds a season record of 4-3.
"I was happy to see Andrei get back on the winning track. It came against a higher ranked opponent and this will be a confidence booster for him in the long run," Lockwood continued.
Freshman Ionut Beleleu lost his No. 3 singles match to No. 115 Adrian Simon in three sets. Beleleu took the first set before falling in the next two, losing (4-6), 6-3, 6-3. TCU tied the score 2-2 with the victory. TCU took the lead at 3-2 after Kriegler Brink defeated Alex Joitoiu, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4 singles.
"I think we can build off this match, and it shows our team that we can compete on the road against top talent," Lockwood said.
Federico Chavarria held Jack Seider scoreless at No. 6 singles, winning in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Chavarria tied the score at 3-3.
The Horned Frogs took the match, 4-3, after winning No. 5 singles. No. 122 Zach Nichols defeated Vlad Marinescu, 6-4, (5-7), 7-6 (7-3).
"We now have to refocus mentally and prepare to host a tough Memphis team in our home opener Saturday. I think we will be well prepared and excited to play at home for the first time this season," Lockwood said.
The Sooners' home opener, which was scheduled for March 1, was postponed due to the probability of heavy rains and high winds in the Norman area throughout the day. The matches will be rescheduled, but no date has been set as of yet.
Next, the Sooners host Memphis on Saturday, March 8, for the first home match of the 2008 season at the Headington Family Tennis Center. The match is scheduled to begin at noon.
Texas Christian 4, Oklahoma 3
1. No. 27 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. No. 21 Cosmin Cotet (TCU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
2. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) def. Emanu Brighiu (TCU) 6-3, 7-5
3. No. 115 Adrian Simon (TCU) def. Ionut Beleleu (OU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kriegler Brink (TCU) def. Alexander Joitoiu (OU) 6-1, 6-3
5. No. 122 Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Vlad Marinescu (OU) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Federico Chavarria (OU) def. Jack Seider (TCU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kriegler Brink/Cosmin Cotet (TCU) def. No. 28 Andrei Daescu/Federico Chavarria (OU) 8-4
2. Emanu Brighiu/Adrian Simon (TCU) def. Vlad Marinescu/Alexander Joitoiu (OU) 8-2
3. Jack Seider/Zach Nichols (TCU) def. Ionut Beleleu/Ryan Thomas (OU) 8-3
For more information on OU men's tennis, visit www.SoonerSports.com.