SoonerSports.com recently caught up with returning Sooner wrestler and All-American Sam Hazewinkel to see what went on during his summer and how his first month of school is going.
1. How were the Olympic Tryouts this summer and how did you do?
They were awesome. I really enjoyed them, but I did not do as well as I wanted. I wanted to win but coming in third behind two silver medalist at the Olympics is not bad at all. I was really happy with the way it went, but again I wanted to win but I had nothing to be ashamed of. I got over a few obstacles by beating a guy I had not beaten yet for third place, but I really enjoyed it.
2. What summer camps did you work at this summer and how were they?
I worked all over. From Miami to Santa Barbra, California to OU camps. I had one in Pennsylvania as well. I had some where I just had a couple of kids. This summer I worked with roughly 700-1000 or more kids
3. What else did you do this summer?
I got to go home for a while. I Took some time off and enjoyed it and worked a lot of camps.
4. What was your off-season goal this summer and did you reach it?
I wanted to put on some strength and I did not quite reach what I wanted to. I really wanted to pick up on my technique as well; there were a lot of little things that I did wrong last year. Michael Lightner has helped me out a whole lot and I picked up on some things at camps this summer and being in the training center a lot. I definitely got everything I wanted to get out of the summer and I got rested up.
5. What is it like seeing the new crop of freshmen come in and what do you expect from them?
Their energy and excitement is the best thing they bring. I start the season out hesitant. These guys remind me of myself my freshman year. They’re going to give the team a lot of energy, though. We have a good group coming in this year.
6. After a great freshman campaign what are your goals for this season and how are you going to better yourself?
My goal is obviously to win nationals and go undefeated. I set my goals high and I want to pin or tech every guy this year. Last year I set my goals to not lose a single match. I need to wrestle to dominate this year.
7. What are your expectations of the team this season?
We have a good team and it is coming together right now. We are going to be a tough competitor for winning it all this year. Last year we had the excuse of it being a building year. This year we expect to dominate.
8. What expectations do the coaches have of you and the team this season?
They have expectations for me and some other guys to win it this year and they expect the team to win it this year. You can’t expect anything less.
9. What is a normal day like for you?
Some days we get up and run, sometimes we don’t. I work out three times a day and we run and lift three times a week and wrestle every day. I am getting in three workouts every day and I have class and I find time to study as well. I also find time for church and I have my devotion in the mornings.
10. What is your favorite class? How many hours are you taking? How is school going overall?
School is going great and I enjoy my classes. My favorite class is communications and I enjoy my history teacher and this is my second year to have him.