The Oklahoma men’s tennis team (9-1) fell to No. 59 Louisiana-Lafayette in a close 4-3 match on Saturday at the UTA Tennis Center in Arlington, Texas. The loss marks OU’s first defeat of the season.
“The doubles point hurt us in this match,” said head coach Paul Lockwood. “We had three opportunities to win and we just didn’t come through. We fought hard and we will continue to improve as the season progresses.”
In singles play, the Sooners tied with the Ragin’ Cajuns, 3-3. Juniors Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) and Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) celebrated straight-set wins over their opponents. Freshman newcomer Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) swept by Louisiana-Lafayette’s Shaun Ellison in the first set, but had to fight harder in the second set to defeat his opponent, 6-3, 7-6. The three Sooners remain undefeated in singles play this season.
Junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) and sophomores Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) and Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) all fell to their foes after facing tough three-set matches.
The Sooners fate was determined in doubles play after they were upset by Louisiana-Lafayette, 1-2. Ivanov and junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) posted the only doubles win after overcoming Louisiana-Lafayette’s Ivan Kovalev and Marc Castellana with a tight 9-7 finish at the No. 1 spot. Fukala and Tanasoiu suffered their first loss of the season to Louisiana-Lafayette’s Robin Ley and Shaun Ellison, 8-6.
Oklahoma hosts Cameron on Wed., March 10, and regional opponent Southwest Missouri State on Fri., March 12, at the OU Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. Both matches will begin at 2 p.m. Admission is free.
For daily Oklahoma tennis information visit www.soonersports.com.
Louisiana-Lafayette 4, Oklahoma 3
Saturday, March 6, 2004
UTA Tennis Center, Arlington, Texas
1. Evghenii Corduneanu (ULL) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 6-7, 6-4, 6-1
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Amanjot Singh (ULL), 6-3, 6-2
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Shaun Ellison (ULL), 6-3, 7-6
4. Robin Ley (ULL) def. Tommy Garrison (OU), 2-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Marc Castellana (ULL) def. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) , 4-6, 7-6, 6-1
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Ivan Kovalev (ULL), 6-4, 6-2
1. Ivanov/Matt Long (OU) def. Kovalev/Castellana (ULL), 9-7
2. Corduneanu/Singh (ULL) def. Garrison/Velicka (OU), 8-6
3. Ley/Ellison (ULL) def. Fukala/Tanasoiu (OU), 8-6