March 7, 2010
NORMAN, Okla. - The 21st-ranked Oklahoma men's tennis squad (8-1) shut out Wichita State (7-3) Sunday, 7-0, inside the Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion.
The win over the Shockers marks OU's sixth-straight win, all of which have come inside the Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion. In addition, OU's 8-1 record is its best start since the 2007 season when they started off the year 10-1.
"We had a good win today," OU head coach John Roddick said. "Even with Andrei (Daescu) out we came out and played pretty good doubles, considering we had to shuffle our lineup around."
The Sooners started strong sweeping the doubles portion and taking the early 1-0 lead.
OU senior Blake Boswell teamed with freshman Lawrence Formentera at the No. 2 position to take down WSU's Valentin Mihai and Adrian Chermaci, 8-3.
Freshman Costin Paval and sophomore George Chanturia followed suit, at the No. 3 position, defeating the Shocker's Jonathan Obrist and David Cavalcanti, 8-3.
OU concluded the doubles sweep when juniors Ionut Beleleu and David Pultr rallied at the No. 1 position to claim an 8-6 victory over WSU's Sven Kasper and Vlad Marinescu.
Formentera started off singles action on the right foot for the Sooners. He defeated WSU's Cavalcanti in straight-sets, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot.
OU went ahead 3-0 after Paval handily defeated Wichita State's Vlad Marinescu at the No. 2 position, 6-3, 6-2.
The Sooners clinched the match, 4-0, at the No. 1 position after Beleleu trounced WSU's Kasper, 6-4, 6-3.
OU's Boswell made the score 5-0 upon his victory over WSU's Pereira, 7-5, 6-4, at the No. 6 spot.
Chanturia put the Sooners up 6-0 after downing WSU's Cavalcanti in three sets.
OU claimed the sweep after Pultr put away the Shocker's Mihai, 6-4, 7-6(8).
"All-in-all the guys came out and were focused throughout the whole match, which is all we can hope for," said Roddick.
Next up, Oklahoma travels to Ft. Worth, Texas, to take on the No. 55 TCU on Thursday, March 11, at 1 p.m.
No. 21 Oklahoma 7, Wichita State 0
1. Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Sven Kasper (WSU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Costin Paval (OU) def. Vlad Marinescu (WSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. David Pultr (OU) def. Valentin Mihai (WSU), 6-4, 7-6(8)
4. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Adrian Chermaci (WSU), 6-1, 6-1
5. George Chanturia (OU) def. David Cavalcanti (WSU), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Blake Boswell (OU) def. Matheus Pereira (WSU), 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1*, 6, 5, 3
1. Beleleu/Pultr (OU) def. Kasper/Marinescu (WSU), 8-6
2. Boswell/Formentera (OU) def. Mihai/Chermaci (WSU), 8-3
3. Paval/Chanturia (OU) def. Obrist/Cavalcanti (WSU), 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1