April 17, 2011
LUBBOCK, Texas - The University of Oklahoma men's tennis team fell to No. 22 Texas Tech, 4-3, Sunday in Lubbock, Texas.
The Sooners (13-6, 2-3 Big 12) came back from a 3-0 deficit, but fell short in the end.
"We fought really hard today in certain spots," said OU head coach John Roddick. "I'm really proud of our effort at the No. 1 and 2 singles today. It was tought to end up losing another deciding match, but we just have to keep focused on improving and good things will happen."
In the doubles portion, the Red Raiders claimed the point with wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions. OU's Ionut Beleleu and Tsvetan Mihov avoided the doubles sweep by taking down the 14th-ranked duo of Raony Carvalho and Rafael Garcia, 8-5.
Tech got off to a quick 3-0 lead with wins by Vitor Manzini and Gabriel Wanderley in the singles portion at the No. 4 and 5 positions, respectively. Manzini defeated OU's Laurentiu Gavrila, 6-1, 6-1, and Wanderley beat Lawrence Formentera, 6-2, 6-3.
The Sooners fought back from their 3-0 deficit starting with Tsvetan Mihov at the No. 6 position, where he bested Raphael Pfister, 6-4, 6-2.
Costin Paval and Ionut Beleleu each took down ranked opponents in two sets of play. Paval defeated No. 22 Gonzalo Escobar at the No. 2 position, 7-5, 6-4, and Beleleu beat No. 20 Raony Carvalho at the No. 1 spot, 6-1, 7-5.
With the match tied at three, all eyes turned to court No. 3, where OU's Peerakit Siributwong and Tech's Rafael Garcia would decide the match. After three hard-fought sets, Garcia came out victorious, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5, claiming the match for the Red Raiders.
The Sooners close out the regular season April 22 at Nebraska.
Texas Tech 4, Oklahoma 3
1. Beleleu/Mihov (OU) def. #14 Carvalho/Garcia (TT), 8-5
2. #34 Escobar/Manzini (TT) def. #68 Paval/Siributwong (OU), 8-6
3. Gonzalez/Pfister (TT) def. Formentera/Gavrila (OU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. #34 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. #20 Raony Carvalho (TT), 6-1, 7-5
2. #74 Costin Paval (OU) def. #22 Gonzalo Escobar (TT), 7-5, 6-4
3. Rafael Garcia (TT) def. Peerakit Siributwong (OU), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Vitor Manzini (TT) def. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Gabriel Wanderley (TT) def. Lawrence Formentera, 6-2, 6-3
6. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Raphael Pfister (TT), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6, 2, 1, 3