NORMAN, Okla. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to Texas A&M on Sunday at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. With the loss, OU fell to 6-9 overall and 1-3 in conference play.
The Sooners were defeated at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles but were able to take the match at No. 3 despite having already lost the doubles point. Sophomore Gabby Baker and freshman Gabriela Nastasa, who teamed up for the first time this season, defeated Anna Blagodarova and Seva Iwinski, 8-4.
In singles, Baker triumphed at the No. 1 position and was not only the lone Sooner to win her match but also knocked off Anna Lubinsky, who is ranked No. 47 in the country. Baker won the first set, 6-3, yet Lubinsky pushed the match into a third set with a 7-5 win in the second set. After a long battle, Baker won the tiebreaker, 1-0 (6), and emerged with the victory.
Junior Irina Lykina also played a closely fought match yet fell short of a win. At the No. 2 spot, Lykina fell in the first set but pushed the match into a third set with a 6-0 second-set score. Lykina fell behind early in the third-set tiebreaker and was never able to recover.
Also competing for the Sooners in singles were junior Monica Purice, sophomore Christi Baxley and freshmen Gabriela Nastasa and Brittany Baldy at the Nos. 3, 4, 5 and 6 positions, respectively. All four dropped their matches in straight sets.
OU will take a break from Big 12 action to face Tulsa on Wednesday, March 29, at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. The match is set for 3 p.m.
1. Clifford/Foster (TAMU) def. Baxley/Lykina (OU), 8-2
2. No. 35 Lubinsky/Mechem (TAMU) def. Carter/Purice (OU), 8-3
3. Baker/Nastasa (OU) def. Blagodarova/Iwinski (TAMU), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. No. 47 Anna Lubinsky (TAMU), 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (6)
2. Sarah Foster (TAMU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (3)
3. Anna Blagodarova (TAMU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Nicki Mechem (TAMU) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Tiffany Clifford (TAMU) def. Gabriela Nastasa (OU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Marissa Druss (TAMU) def. Brittany Baldy (OU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 3, 6, 4, 2, 1