March 27, 2009
NORMAN, Okla.— The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team dropped its first home match of the season to Kansas on Friday, falling to the Jayhawks, 5-2.
“It was a really disappointing night tonight, especially since it was our first match in the new facility.” OU head coach David Mullins said.
The Sooners dropped two of three doubles matches, giving the Jayhawks an early 1-0 lead. Sophomore Tara Eckel and Freshman Marie-Pier Huet teamed up for OU’s only doubles win of the night. Eckel and Huet defeated Maria Martinez and Erin Wilbert of Kansas, 8-4. Eckel and Huet hold a 9-3 record at the No. 2 doubles spot this season and have won seven of their last eight matches.
“We did really well in some spots, and struggled in some spots, which has been the theme all season,” Mullins said. “We have a great chance to get back on track on Sunday against Kansas State.”
Sophomore Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Huet continued their success in singles action. Constantinescu defeated Kansas’ Edina Horvath, 6-1, 6-1. Constantinescu holds a 12-2 record at the No. 1 singles spot this season, including wins over two nationally ranked opponents. Huet holds a 10-6 singles record this season and clinched the upset against No. 32 Tulsa on March 3.
The Sooners return to action Sunday at 1 p.m. against Kansas State. Due to potential inclement weather the match will be held at the brand new Gregg Wadley Indoor Tennis Pavilion.
Kansas 5, Oklahoma 2
March 27, 2009
1. Horvath/Morozova (KU) def. Constantinescu/Kalashnikova (OU), 9-8 (7)
2. Eckel/Huet (OU) def. Martinez/Wilbert (KU), 8-4
3. Svistun/Dorn (KU) def. Lancaster/Radan (OU), 8-6
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Katerina Morozova (KU) def. Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-0, 6-4
3. Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Kristina Radan (OU), 7-6, 6-2
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Kuni Dorn (KU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Maria Martinez (KU) def. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Erin Wilbert (KU) def. Tara Eckel (OU), 6-4, 6-1