Nov. 26, 2010
|Kansas (16-14, 7-12 Big 12) at Oklahoma (21-9, 13-6 Big 12)|
|Date||Saturday, November 27, 2010 | 3 p.m. CT|
|Location||McCasland Field House | Norman, Okla.|
|Tickets||Available: $8 adults | $5 youth|
|Promotions||Senior Day | Postmatch autographs|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma volleyball team closes out the regular season Saturday afternoon against the Kansas Jayhawks. First serve from McCasland Field House is set for 3 p.m. CT. Live stats are available at SoonerSports.com. Oklahoma will honor its 2010 senior class following the match.
The Sooners (21-9, 13-6 Big 12) can capture third place in the Big 12 with a win over the Jayhawks and an Iowa State loss at Texas. The lowest Oklahoma can finish is fourth. The 2010 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship Selection Special is scheduled for Sunday at 2 p.m. CT on ESPNews.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat the Missouri Tigers in five sets Wednesday evening (24-26, 17-25, 25-18, 25-23, 15-9).
- The last time the Sooners came back from 2-0 down to win a match was on Sept. 26, 2007 against Colorado (3-2).
- The Sooners are 21-9 on the year. In the Big 12 era, Oklahoma has totaled 20-plus wins three previous times (22, 2007; 28, 2006; 20, 1997).
- OU’s 13 conference wins are the most since 13 wins in 2007 and 1997. The most is 17 (2006).
- OU is 10-3 at home this season and 7-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 9-4 on the road and 6-4 on the road in the Big 12.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin has earned Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors three times this season - November 1, October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 50 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 41st in the nation with 1.26 bps.
- McLaurin’s average is the third-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year.
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for BS (28) and BA (108) and second in blocks per set average (1.26).
- McLaurin has 85 blocks in Big 12 play (20 BS/65 BA). The last freshman to have more was Sarah Pavan (90) from Nebraska in 2004
- The only freshmen to record more blocks in conference matches in a single season are Tracy Stalls (91) from Nebraska in 2004 and Bethany
Howden (105) from Texas in 2001.
In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 20 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- McLaurin’s 136 TB are also an OU 25-point rally scoring single season record. It’s the most since Laura Tomes (140) and Santos (180) in 2006.
- Junior Brianne Barker is the sixth Sooner setter to record 3,000-plus career assists. Barker has 3,254 assists.
- Barker averages 10.33 assists per set overall, a mark that is fourth-best in the league and 79th in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.53 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 27 matches this year.
- Boulavsky’s 406 kills this season are an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. The previous was set by Boulavsky in 2009 (320).
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has eight matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 18 service aces.
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team.
- Oklahoma led the league with seven players named to the Academic All-Big 12 first team.
A LOOK AT BACK AT A RECORD-BREAKING NIGHT
- Oklahoma had three players posting double-digit kills Wednesday evening. Boulavsky led the way, tying her career-best with 22 kills.
- McLaurin registered the second double-double of her career with a career-high 20 kills and 10 total blocks. McLaurin hit a team-best .400.
- Four Sooners posted double-digit digs, led by Fernanda’s career high and rally scoring record 35.
- Fernanda is the first OU player to total 30-plus digs in a match since Hannah Sharp dropped 31 against Florida A&M on Sept. Nov. 29, 2007.
- Higgins eclipsed the 20-plus digs mark for a second time this season with 21 against the Tigers.
- Barker recorded her 18th double-double of the year with a career-high 58 assists and 18 digs. Barker also added a career-best six block assists.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series 42-39 and a 20-13 edge in matches played in Norman.
- OU has won four straight in Norman. KU’s last win in Norman was Nov. 9, 2005.
- The Sooners are 6-7 against the Jayhawks under head coach Santiago Restrepo (4-2 in Norman).
- Oklahoma is seeking its first season sweep of Kansas since 2006.
- The Sooners downed the Jayhawks 3-0 on Oct. 16 in Lawrence (-22, -12, -20).