Sept. 14, 2010
|Oklahoma (8-3) at Colorado (3-3)|
|Info||Wednesday, Sept. 15 | 7:30 p.m. CT|
|Location||Coors Events Conference Center | Boulder, Colo.|
|Tickets||Available: $5 adult | $2 youth|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma is 5-9 all-time in Big 12 Conference openers and 4-2 under head coach Santiago Restrepo.
- Oklahoma has won four straight conference openers.
- The Sooners’ last conference-opening loss came in 2005 to No. 25 Kansas State in Norman (0-3).
OU has not lost a conference road
- Oklahoma won the Dr. Mary Jo Invitational this past weekend in Springfield, Mo. OU defeated Utah, Saint Louis and host Missouri State.
- The Sooners hit .325 in a five set win at Arkansas Tuesday. The Sooners had five players hit .400 or better.
- It was the highest hitting percentage ever put up by OU in a five-set match in the rally scoring era (2001-present).
- OU’s 71 kills at Arkansas tied for the league lead in a single match (Nebraska vs. Florida) this season.
- Oklahoma’s .208 team hitting percentage is sixth-best in the Big 12.
- The Sooners have recorded at least five blocks in 10 of the 11 matches played this season.
- Every player on the Oklahoma roster has seen action this season.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky led OU with 3.50 kills per set at the Wynn Invitational. She connected on 42 of her 121 total attempts.
- Boulavsky had 22 kills at Arkansas, a new career high. Boulavsky hit .429 with 42 total attack attempts.
- Boulavsky leads the team in kills per set with 3.49. She’s also averaging a .295 hitting percentage.
- Junior Brianne Barker had a double-double in every match at the Wynn Invitational and averaged 10.92 assists per set.
- Barker also set a career high with 57 assists at Arkansas.
- Barker’s 10.00 assists per set ranks third in the Big 12. Her 57 assists at Arkansas is the best individual performance in the category this season.
- Senior Sarah Freudenrich was named the most outstanding player of the Wynn Invitational. Freudenrich hit .407 with 2.80 kills per set.
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin and sophomore María Fernanda were also named to the Wynn Invitational all-tournament team.
- Fernanda had a career-high 29 digs against Utah on Friday evening.
- McLaurin led the team in blocks per set with 1.67. She had three block solos and 17 block assists on the weekend.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Colorado leads the all-time series 35-17 and holds a 18-5 lead in matches played in Boulder.
- Oklahoma is 8-4 against Colorado under Restrepo (2004-present). The Sooners are 3-3 in Boulder during that same span.
- Oklahoma is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings and 4-1 in the last five. OU's last loss in Boulder was Nov. 26, 2008 (3-0).
- Oklahoma returns home Sept. 22 to face Texas Tech. It’s OU’s annual Pledge for a Cure fundraiser for the Jimmy Everest Center.
- The Sooners travel to No. 11 Iowa State next weekend. The Cyclones and Sooners meet at 2 p.m. CT in Ames, Iowa.
BOULAVSKY, BARKER NAMED TO ALL-TOURNEY TEAMS
Juniors Suzy Boulavsky and Brianne Barker were named to the all-tournament team at the Nike Invitational. Barker was also named to the all-tournament team at the Houston Invitational.
EKWEREKWU A LOWE’S SENIOR CLASS AWARD FINALIST
University of Oklahoma volleyball senior Francie Ekwerekwu (Arlington, Texas) has been named one of 30 finalists for the inaugural Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award for the sport of volleyball. From the list of 30 candidates, a national media committee will select 10 finalists for the 2010 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award in mid-October. Those 10 names will then be placed on the official ballot for a nationwide vote. Fan balloting will be coupled with votes from coaches and media to determine the recipient of the award. The winner will be announced at the 2010 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship in December.
DUO NAMED PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12
Senior Francie Ekwerekwu was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 preseason team and junior Brianne Barker was named to the team, as well. Both Barker and Ekwerekwu earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors last season.
SOONERS SELECTED TO FINISH FOURTH
The University of Oklahoma volleyball team received 65 points to place fourth in the preseason coaches’ poll. Nebraska received nine first-place votes and 98 points to finish just ahead of Texas (91). The Longhorns received two first-place votes. Iowa State (84) was third, followed by OU and Missouri (63). Baylor (52), Texas A&M (48), Kansas (38), Kansas State (37), Texas Tech (15) and Colorado (14) rounded out the voting.