MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team picked up its first win of the spring season by defeating Minnesota, 4-3, at the Minnesota Court Classic in Minneapolis on Sunday.
Oklahoma took the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Sophomore Chelsea Orr and junior Monica Purice dealt Marina Bugaenco and Mariana Spilca an 8-4 loss, and freshman Brittany Baldy and sophomore Christi Baxley handily defeated Megan Steiger and Danielle Mousseau, 8-2.
In singles action, sophomore Gabby Baker took a 6-1, 6-3, victory over Nischela Reddy at the No. 1 position. At the No. 6 spot, Baldy upended Steiger in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, while Orr provided the winning match point by defeating Bugaenco, 7-6, 6-0, at No. 5.
With the win, Oklahoma improves its record to 1-1 in the spring. The Sooners' next match is slated for Feb. 13 as they travel to Columbia, Mo., to face Big 12 rival Missouri.
1. #73 Gabby Baker (OU) def. #87 Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-1, 6-3
2. Mariana Spilca (MN) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 7-5, 3-6, (10-3)
3. Ida Malmberg (MN) def. Monica Purice (OU), 7-6, 5-7, (10-8)
4. Danielle Mousseau (MN) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 7-6, 6-0
6. Brittany Baldy (OU) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5, 4, 3, 2
1. Reddy/Malberg (MN) def. Baker/Lykina (OU), 8-7
2. Orr/Purice (OU) def. Bugaenco/Spilca (MN), 8-4
3. Baldy/Baxley (OU) def. Steiger/Mousseau (MN), 8-2