March 18, 2010
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – No. 17 Oklahoma routed San Diego State, 4-0, for the second time this year in the opening round of the Blue Gray Tennis Classic, March 18-21, held at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center.
The Sooners (10-1) controlled the match from the start, taking the doubles point, and never looked back.
In singles action, senior Andrei Daescu, junior David Pultr and freshman Lawrence Formentera secured the, 4-0, shutout over the Aztecs with straight-set victories.
"I felt like San Diego State had improved since the last time we played them," OU head coach John Roddick said. "We started a bit slow in singles, but we picked it up late in the first sets. We need to do a better job of starting as we move forward in this tournament. The guys did do a great job of finishing when they had the opportunities."
Oklahoma takes to the courts Friday, March 19, at 11 a.m. when they face No. 73 Virginia Commonwealth in the second round of the main draws.
Oklahoma 4, San Diego State 0
1. Gomez/Rattenhuber (SDSU) def. Daescu/Paval (OU), 8-5
2. Pultr/Beleleu (OU) def. Vladimirschii/Vaglietti (SDSU), 8-6
3. Formentera/Blake Boswell (OU) def. Feliz/Endert (SDSU), 8-2
1. Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Gomez (SDSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Ionut Beleleu (OU) vs. Vladimirschii (SDSU), DNF
3. Costin Paval (OU) vs. Vaglietti (SDSU), DNF
4. David Pultr (OU) def. Rattenhuber (SDSU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Feliz (SDSU), 6-3, 6-2
6. George Chanturia (OU) vs. Van Endert (SDSU), DNF