Sept. 10, 2002
Complete Release in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader
OU Set to Begin Season in New Mexico
The University of Oklahoma men's golf team opens its 2002-03 season this weekend (Sept. 13-14) at The William H. Tucker Intercollegiate in Albuquerque, N.M. OU has reached the NCAA Regionals both years under head coach Jim Ragan and, with a strong freshman class, looks to improve upon its previous success.
William H. Tucker Intercollegiate Field
New Mexico State
San Diego State
GolfWorld rankings in parentheses (as of 9/6/02)
Sooner Golfers in the Rankings
OU is currently 21st in this week's GolfWorld collegiate rankings. Individually, senior John Kidwell (Dallas, Texas) was listed as one of the players to watch in the GolfWorld college preview. The Mastercard, Golfstat and Golfweek rankings will be released in the coming weeks.
The Oklahoma Lineup
Brodie Flanders (Fr., Vancouver, B.C.) - Making his first career start as a Sooner...Was a member of the Canadian National Team in 2001 and 2002...Named the East Coast Junior champion as well the a runner-up in the New Brunswick Junior Provincial Championships.
Martin Flores (Jr., Mansfield, Texas)
- Making his 26th consecutive start for OU...Started the 2001 season off with a third place finish at The Ridges Intercollegiate...Had the third-lowest stroke average on the team with a 73.64...Finished the Big 12 Championship tied 26th with a score of 222...Posted his best finish of the spring at the Morris Williams Intercollegiate tying for 15th with a 223...Participating in the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate for the first time. Flores' Career Numbers StartsRoundsStrokesLow Avg. 25745,4736773.96
John Kidwell (Sr., Dallas, Texas)
- Making his 29th start as a Sooner...Led OU in a team-best six tournaments while shooting a team-low 71.48 during the spring season and 72.00 overall...Tied for second in back-to-back tournaments at the Big 12 Championship and The Maxwell...Garned Third-Team All-America honors...Named to the All-Big 12 Men's Golf Team for the first time in his career. Kidwell's Career Numbers StartsRoundsStrokesLow Avg. 28896,5746474.87
Doug Manor (Sr., Garland, Texas)
- Making his fifth career start for Oklahoma...Started in four tournaments during the 2001 spring season...Fired a career-low round of 69 in the second round of the NCAA regional...Shot a career-best 219 a week earlier at The Maxwell to tie for a career-best 22nd. Manor's Career Numbers StartsRoundsStrokesLow Avg. 4151,1286975.20
Jim Renner (Fr., Plainville, Mass.)
- Starting his first tournament for OU...Enjoyed a successful junior career capped off last fall by Massachusetts Golf Association Junior Player of the Year, and Boston Globe Player of the Year honors.
Individual - Robert Stone (Fr., Dallas, Texas)
- Participating in his first career tournament for the Sooners...Finished fifth at the AJGA Boys Championship, fourth at the AJGA Compaq Junior Classic at English Turn and sixth at the AJGA Texace in San Antonio...Finished 17th at both the historic Western Junior and AJGA Arizona Junior Classic during the summer of 2001.