Nov. 23, 2010
|Oklahoma (20-9, 12-6 Big 12) at Missouri (20-9, 12-7 Big 12)|
|Date||Wednesday, November 24, 2010 | 6:30 p.m. CT|
|Location||Hearnes Center | Columbia, Mo.|
|Tickets||Available: $5 adults | $3 youth|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. – The University of Oklahoma volleyball team begins the final week of the regular season at Missouri Wednesday evening. First serve from the Hearnes Center is set for 6:30 p.m. CT. Live stats are available at SoonerSports.com.
Oklahoma (20-9, 12-6 Big 12) is seeking to finish the regular season on a strong note. The Sooners sit in a tie for third in the current Big 12 standings. Selections for the 2010 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship will be announced Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. CT.
The Sooners beat the Tigers in four sets back on Oct. 9 in Norman (25-19, 27-29, 25-19, 32-30). OU has not won in Columbia since 2006.
Following Wednesday’s contest, OU wraps up the regular season Saturday at home against Kansas at 3 p.m. CT.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma defeated Kansas State in four sets Saturday afternoon (25-18, 18-25, 25-16, 25-19).
- Oklahoma fell in straight sets at No. 5 Nebraska last Wednesday evening (-22, -23, -14).
- The Sooners are 20-9 on the year. In the Big 12 era, Oklahoma has totaled 20-plus wins three previous times (22, 2007; 28, 2006; 20, 1997).
- OU’s 12 conference wins are the most since 13 wins in 2007 and 1997. The most is 17 (2006).
- OU is 10-3 at home this season and 7-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-4 on the road and 5-4 on the road in the Big 12.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin has earned Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors three times this season - November 1, October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 50 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 41st in the nation with 1.22 bps.
- McLaurin’s average is the third-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year.
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for BS (27) and BA (99) and second in blocks per set average (1.22).
- McLaurin has 75 blocks in Big 12 play (19 BS/56 BA), a freshman mark last reached by Missouri’s Nicole Wilson in 2003 (10 BS/65 BA/75 TB).
- The only freshmen to record more blocks in conference matches in a single season are Sarah Pavan (90) and Tracy Stalls (91) from Nebraska
in 2004 and Bethany Howden (105) from Texas holds the record set in 2001.
fí In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 19 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- McLaurin’s 126 TB are also an OU 25-point rally scoring single season record. It’s the most since Laura Tomes (140) and Santos (180) in 2006.
- Junior Brianne Barker is the sixth Sooner setter to record 3,000-plus career assists. Barker has 3,196 assists.
- Barker averages 10.27 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league and 79th in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.49 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 26 matches this year.
- Boulavsky’s 384 kills this season are an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. The previous was set by Boulavsky in 2009 (320).
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has seven matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 18 service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .317 hitting percentage. She’s 145th in the nation in the category.
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Informat+ion Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team.
- Oklahoma led the league with seven players named to the Academic All-Big 12 first team.
A LOOK AT MISSOURI
- Missouri 20-9 on the year and has a 12-7 mark in conference matches. The Tigers have won nine of their last 11.
- The Tigers are 6-3 at home this year with all three losses coming in conference play - Nebraska, Iowa State and Texas.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series 38-31 but Missouri holds a 15-12 advantage in matches played in Columbia.
- The Sooners are 6-7 against the Tigers under head coach Santiago Restrepo (2-5 in Columbia).
- Oklahoma is seeking its first season sweep of Missouri since 2006.
- The Sooners downed the Tigers 3-1 on Oct. 9 in Norman (25-19, 27-29, 25-19, 32-30).
- McLaurin led OU with 16 kills, while Higgins (14) and Boulavsky (11) were also in double figures.
- McLaurin also added 12 total blocks for her first career double-double.