The Oklahoma men’s tennis team defeated Weber State, 7-0, in the first round of the UNLV Invitational on Friday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas.
In singles play, all of the Sooners had straight-set victories to earn six team points in the tournament.
Oklahoma continued to dominate Weber State in doubles action. Junior Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) and junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) cruised to an easy 8-0 victory over Weber State’s Zach Rideout and Travis Covington.
Sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) and junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) proved they are still a top No. 1 doubles team as they swept Weber State’s Jonathan Engelbrecht and Spencer Marchant, 8-4.
Freshman newcomer Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) and sophomore Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) kept up their end of the bargain with an 8-2 win over Weber State’s Mathis Saberon and Zach Levetan at No. 2 doubles. The Sooners earned one team point for the doubles wins.
OU will resume competition against the UNLV Rebels tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. PT.
For daily Oklahoma results visit www.soonersports.com.
Oklahoma 7, def. Weber State 0
Friday, February 13, 2004
Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas, Nev.
UNLV Invitational - First Round
1. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Jonathan Engelbrecht (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Mathis Saberon (WSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Travis Covington (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Andrew Corlett (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Spencer Marchant (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Daniel Abeaboro (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Ivanov/Long (OU) def. Engelbrecht/Marchant (WSU) 8-4
2. Velicka/Garrison (OU) def. Saberon/Zach Levetan (WSU) 8-2
3. Fukala/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Zach Rideout/Covington (WSU) 8-0