The Oklahoma men’s tennis team defeated tournament host UNLV, 6-1, in the semifinals of the UNLV Invitational on Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas. The Sooners advance to the final round tomorrow for a chance at their first championship of the season.
OU faced their first tough competition this season against the Rebels. Sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) fell to UNLV’s Henner Nehles in the first set, 2-6, only to regain momentum and win the second game, 6-1. Ivanov competed solid in the final set to pull off a 7-5 victory at No. 1 singles.
Junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) and freshman Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) had straight-set wins in singles play. Sophomore Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) pulled out on top in a close match against UNLV’s Marko Blagojevic, 7-5, 7-6.
Sophomore Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) was upset by UNLV’s Joel Kielbowicz in a three-set match, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0, posting OU’s only loss in singles.
In doubles play, the No. 1 pair of Velicka and Garrison faced their most difficult competition yet against UNLV’s Henner Nehles and Joel Keilbowicz. The Sooner duo fought hard only to come up one point shy of a win, 9-8.
Junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) and Ivanov remain undefeated after cruising to an easy 8-4 win over UNLV’s Romain Massaro and Aviram Salomon at No. 2 doubles. Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) and Tanasoiu defeated UNLV’s David DiMartino and Marko Blagojevic, 8-6, to seal the triumph for the Sooners.
Oklahoma will play in the finals against Texas-Arlington tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. PT. The Sooners defeated Texas-Arlington, 5-2, at home in the 2003 season.
For daily Oklahoma results visit www.soonersports.com.
Oklahoma 6, def. UNLV 1
Friday, February 14, 2004
Fertitta Tennis Complex, Las Vegas, Nev.
UNLV Invitational - Semifinals
1. Alexei Ivanov (OU) def. Henner Nehles (UNLV) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Aviram Salomon (UNLV) 6-4, 7-5
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Romain Massaro (UNLV) 6-3, 6-4
4. Joel Kielbowicz (UNLV) def. Tommy Garrison (OU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
5. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. David DiMartino (UNLV) 6-2, 6-4
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Marko Blagojevic (UNLV) 7-5, 7-6
1. Nehles/Kielbowicz (UNLV) def. Velicka/Garrison (OU) 9-8
2. Ivanov/Long (OU) def. Massaro/Salomon (UNLV) 8-4
3. Fukala/Tanasoiu (OU) def. DiMartino/Blagojevic (UNLV) 8-6