April 4, 2009
AMES, Iowa—The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team picked up another conference win Friday, defeating Iowa State on the road, 6-1.
The Sooners swept all three doubles matches to claim the doubles point and an early 1-0 lead. Sophomore Tara Eckel and freshman Marie-Pier Huet continued their success at the No. 2 doubles spot. The duo defeated Maria Macedo and Marie-Christine Chartier of Iowa State, 8-6. Eckel and Huet hold an 11-3 record as a pair this season and have won nine of their last ten matches.
Oklahoma won five of six singles matches to clinch the win against the Cyclones. Sophomore Ana-Maria Constantinescu is 14-2 on the season at the No. 1 singles spot and picked up another win Friday against Iowa State. Constantinescu defeated Iowa State’s Erin Karonis, 6-2, 7-5. Senior Brittany Baldy made her fifth match appearance on Friday, and picked up her fourth win. Baldy came from behind and defeated Kara Hickey of Iowa State in a super-tie breaker set, 1-6, 6-4, 1-0.
Oklahoma (8-10, 2-5 Big 12) continue on the road on Sunday, April 5, against Nebraska. The match will begin at 11 a.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center in Lincoln, Neb.
Oklahoma 6, Iowa State 1
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu/Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Erin Karonis/Kara Hickey (ISU) 8-6
2. Tara Eckel/Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Maria Macedo/Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) 8-6
3. Peta Maree Lancaster/Kristina Radan (OU) def. Liza Wischer/Tessa Lang (ISU) 8-2
1. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Erin Karonis (ISU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Maria Macedo (ISU) 7-6, 6-7, 6-2
3. Tessa Lang (ISU) def. Kristina Radan (OU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Peta Maree Lancaster (OU) def. Liza Wischer (ISU) 6-7, 7-5, 6-2
6. Brittany Baldy (OU) def. Kara Hickey (ISU) 1-6, 6-4 (1-0)