March 18, 2012
COLLEGE PARK, MD. - The 31st-ranked Oklahoma men's tennis team downed Maryland, 5-2, Sunday at the Cole Field House Courts.
Maryland struck first by winning doubles matches at the No. 1 and 2 spots to take the point.
Maryland's Maros Horny and John Collins, ranked 36th, struck first at the No. 1 position against Oklahoma's 18th-ranked, Costin Paval and Dane Webb, 8-3.
Lawrence Formentera and David Pultr defeated the Terps Jesse Kiuru and Andy Magee at the No. 3 position, 8-4.
The doubles point came down Maryland's Tommy Laine and Vlad Stefan and the Sooners' Tsvetan Mihov and Peerakit Siributwong, ranked 68th, at the No. 2 spot. Laine and Stefan downed Mihov and Siributwong, 8-6, earning Maryland the first point of the match.
In singles action, Oklahoma came back to win five of the six matches. The five matches won by the Sooners were done in straight-set fashion.
Peerakit Siributwong, ranked No. 67, was the first Sooner to conclude play. Siributwong downed the Terps Jesse Kiuru at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 6-0.
Freshman Dane Webb, ranked No. 78, played well at the No. 5 spot where he beat Maryland's John Collins, 6-3, 6-2.
Oklahoma's 15th-ranked Costin Paval continued the winning streak for the Sooners after he defeated the Terps' Vlad Stefan at the No.1 position in identical-set fashion, 6-3.
OU's Tsvetan Mihov clinched the match for Oklahoma at the No. 2 position where he disposed of the Terps's Maros Horny, 6-4, 6-2.
The Sooners extended their lead to 5-1, with Alcorta's win over Maryland's Sergio Wyss in identical-set fashion, 6-2, at the No. 3 position.
With the match already decided, Maryland won their first point in singles at the No. 6 spot as Tommy Laine defeated OU's David Pultr, 4-6, 6-4, 1-0.
Oklahoma will continue the away streak when they face Florida State on Tuesday, March 20 at 3:00 p.m.
1. #36 Maros Horny/John Collins (UMD) def. #18 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OU), 8-3
2. Tommy Laine/Vlad Stefan (UMD) def. #68 Tsvetan Mihov/Peerakit Siributwong (OU), 8-6.
3. Lawrence Formentera/David Pultr (OU) def. Jesse Kiuru/Andy Magee (UMD), 8-4.
Doubles Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. #15 Costin Paval (OU) def. Vlad Stefan (UMD), 6-3, 6-3.
2. #103 Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Maros Horny (UMD), 6-4, 6-2.
3. Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Sergio Wyss (UMD), 6-2, 6-2.
4. #67 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Jesse Kiuru (UMD), 6-2, 6-0.
5. #78 Dane Webb (OU) def. John Collins (UMD), 6-3, 6-2.
6. Tommy Laine (UMD) def. David Pultr (OU), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0.
Singles Order of Finish: 4, 5, 1, 2*, 3, 6