NORMAN, Okla. -- The Oklahoma women’s tennis team (5-5) advanced to 2-1 in Big 12 play after defeating the Missouri Tigers, 5-2, on Friday at the Headington Family Tennis Center. Friday’s win moved the Sooners to 23-1 in the overall series with Missouri.
The Sooners took the early lead by claiming the doubles point with victories at all three spots.
At No. 3 doubles juniors Rachael Cox and Chelsea Orr defeated Missouri’s Kaitlin Dunhan and Chrissy Svetlic, 8-5, in their third consecutive win.
In singles play, Oklahoma defeated Missouri in four of six spots with Oklahoma’s two losses coming at No. 3 and No. 6.
At the No. 3 spot Christi Baxley defeated Missouri’s Svetlic, 6-1, in the first set before falling 4-6 in the second. Baxley was then defeated 13-11 in a super tie-breaker, played for the third set.
At the No. 6 spot Cox was defeated in straight sets by Missouri’s Raquel Wagner. Cox lost the first set 7-4 in a tie breaker, but answered by taking a 3-0 lead in the second set. However, Wagner came back and the two settled the second set in another tie-breaker with Cox falling 11-9.
At No. 5 singles Orr fell in the first set, 6-4, to Katelyn McKenzie. She then defeated McKenzie 6-0 in the second set, before closing the match 10-3 in a super tie-breaker for the third set.
The Sooners will hit the road for a four-match road trip beginning at Brigham Young Monday, March, 19. The team will then play UNLV on March 21, before heading south to play Texas A&M on March 24 and Texas the following day.
Following the road trip, the Sooners will have a week off before returning to their home courts on Saturday, March, 31 when they host Kansas State.
Oklahoma 5, Missouri 2
3/16/07- Norman, Okla.
1. Gabby Baker (OU) def. Amanda Pratzel (MU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Monica Price (OU) def. Erika Josbena (MU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Chrissy Svetlic (MU) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 1-6, 6-4, 13-11
4. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Kaitlin Dunhan (MU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Katelyn McKenzie (MU) 4-6, 6-0, 10-3
6. Raquel Wagner (MU) def. Rachael Cox (OU) 6-6 (4), 6-6 (9)
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 5, 3, 6
1. Baker/ Lykina def. McKenzie/ Wagner, 8-2
2. Baxley/ Purice def. Pratzel/ Josbena, 8-4
3. Cox/ Orr def. Svetlic/ Dunhan, 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2