The Oklahoma men’s tennis team (9-0) defeated Texas-Arlington, 5-2, at the UTA Tennis Center in Arlington, Texas on Friday. The win marks the second triumph this year over the Mavericks and leaves UTA with a 4-4 overall record.
The Sooners won all singles matches except for one. Sophomore Alexei Ivanov (Izhevsk, Russia) was one of three Sooners who faced a three-set match. Ivanov fought hard but was upset by UTA’s David Corrie, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 1 singles, marking his first loss of the season. Freshman newcomer Marek Velicka (Prerov, Czech Republic) and junior Silviu Tanasoiu (Sibiu, Romania) posted two wins for OU after facing three-set matches.
Junior Ondrej Fukala (Prerov, Czech Republic) and sophomore Lee Gregg (Altus, Okla.) were the only two Sooners to celebrate straight-set victories over their opponents with both of them winning, 6-2, 6-2.
In doubles action, OU only gave up one match to the Mavericks while facing their most fierce competition yet. The No. 1 pair of sophomore Tommy Garrison (Enid, Okla.) and Velicka fell to UTA’s Corrie and Nathan McGregor, 8-6. The Sooner duo now have a 7-2 overall record.
Junior Matt Long (Ft. Worth, Texas) and Ivanov overcame UTA’s Niels Buksik and Ian Vazquez with a close 9-7 finish at No. 2 doubles. The No. 3 duo of Fukala and Tanasoiu remain undefeated after knocking off UTA’s Sandy Farquharson and Josey Trimmier, 8-5.
Oklahoma will face more challenging competition against No. 59 Louisiana-Lafayette on Sat., March 6, at the UTA Tennis Center in Arlington, Texas. Action is set to begin at 10 a.m.
For daily Oklahoma tennis information visit www.soonersports.com.
Oklahoma 5, Texas-Arlington 2
Friday, March 5, 2004
UTA Tennis Center, Arlington, Texas
1. David Corrie (UTA) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Nathan McGregor (UTA), 6-2, 6-2
3. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Sandy Farquharson (UTA), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Niels Buksik (UTA), 6-3, 7-6
5. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Ian Vazquez (UTA), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Josey Trimmier (UTA), 6-2, 6-2
1. Corrie/McGregor (UTA) def. Garrison/Velicka (OU), 8-6
2. Ivanov/Matt Long (OU) def. Buksik/Vazquez (UTA), 9-7
3. Fukala/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Farquharson/Trimmier (UTA), 8-5