April 21, 2001
Azusa, Calif. -- OU senior Justin Conkling scored 7,367 points to win the Mt. Sac Relays Invitational decathlon title on Friday. In the process, he posted seven career best marks and met the NCAA provisional qualifying standard by more than 200 points. In the latest NCAA rankings, that point total would tie him for the sixth best mark in the country.
OU junior Sand'e Swaby, who led after the first day of competition, finished eighth in the California Invitational division of the heptathlon. She finished the two-day event with 4,877 points, a career best.
Both point totals rank as the third best in school history.
Conkling, whose hometown is Weatherford, Okla., posted career bests in the 100-meter dash, 1500-meter run, 110-meter high hurdles, pole vault, shot put, javelin and decathlon total.
This was Conkling's first decathlon competition this season. He started the competition at the College Station Multis in mid March but had to pull out after an injury in the first event. Conkling closed the 2001 indoor season by winning the Big 12 heptathlon title, the first produced by a Sooner in Big 12 history.
Swaby built a big lead on the first day while competing in her primary events. She scored 891 points in the high jump, 916 in the hurdles and 924 in the 200-meter dash. In addition to the one in the final point total, she established career best marks in the 200-meter dash, the shot put and the javelin.
COMPLETE RESULTS - Mt. Sac Relays Multi Events, April 19-20, 2001, Azusa, Calif.
Men's Invitational A Decathlon
1. Justin Conkling, OU, 7,367 points
2. Jake Boone, Texas A&M, 7,069
3. Jeff Kus, Michigan State, 6,770
4. Shelton Davis, Men of Troy, 6,642
5. Benny Gill, Wisconsin, 6,608
6. Jason Mathews, Texas A&M, 6,347
7. Ashraf Fadel, Wisconsin, 6,274
Breakdown of Conkling's Points
100-meter dash: 11.10 (838)
long jump: 22-8.75 (797)
shot put: 41-1.5 (639)
high jump: 6-7 (813)
400-meter dash: 51.76 (736)
110-meter high hurdles: 14.55 (905)
discus: 117-1 (578)
pole vault: 15-5 (819)
javelin: 160-10 (574)
1500-meter run: 4:42.02 (666)
Women's California Invitational Heptathlon
1. Eli Somerfeldt, Missouri, 5,223 points,
2. Angela Anoliefoh, Purdue, 5,107,
3. Kelly Miller, Southern Utah, 5,064,
4. Jenny Kenyon, Oregon, 5,046,
5. Jessica Stafford, UC Irvine, 4,943,
6. Lindsey Malmgren, Colorado State, 4,936,
7. Stephanie Huffman, Seattle Pacific, 4,935,
8. Sand'e Swaby, Oklahoma, 4,877,
9. Erianne Allen, Utah, 4,813,
10. Lilian Bush, Stanford, 4,802,
11. Ann Sullivan, Oregon, 4,792,
12. Shanae Nixon, Utah, 4,786,
13. Fiona Aeibger, Missouri, 4,635
Breakdown of Swaby's Points
100-meter low hurdles: 14.45 (916),
high jump: 5-8 (891),
shot put: 36-8.5 (608),
200-meter dash: 25.69 (924),
long jump: 16-5.25 (562),
javelin: 106-3 (522),
800-meter run: 2:41.62 (554)