April 8, 2012
HOUSTON, Texas -- The 13th-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis team earned its seventh-straight win on Sunday after OU earned a 6-1 victory over No. 39 Rice at the Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
The Sooners (13-3, 2-0 Big 12) won the doubles point and all but one match in singles to earn their seventh consecutive road win, this time in Houston.
Oklahoma started strong early after OU swept the doubles portion of the event to take a 1-0 lead.
OU’s 13th-ranked duo comprised of Costin Paval and Dane Webb concluded action first at the No. 1 spot where the duo defeated the Owls’ Christian Saravia and Justin To, 8-5.
Seventy-first ranked Tsvetan Mihov and Peerakit Siributwong finished off Michael Nuesslein and Jonathan Change, 8-4, at the No. 2 position.
Lawrence Formentera and David Pultr closed out the doubles sweep after the tandem earned an 8-7(5) win over Rice’s Leif Berger and Sam Garforth-Bles.
In singles action, Roddick’s squad went on to win battles at every spot except No. 6 to run away with the victory.
Guillermo Alcorta, ranked No. 90, gave OU a 2-0 advantage after he downed Rice’s Saravia at the No. 2 spot, 6-1, 6-1.
OU’s Siributwong followed suit after he handily defeated the Owls’ Nuesslein at the No. 5 position. He put away Nuesslien in identical set fashion, 6-2.
Freshman sensation Webb continued his winning ways after the Sooner defeated Frank, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 4.
Paval, the nation’s 17th-ranked singles player, went three sets with Rice’s Garforth-Bles, but came away with the win. Last week’s Big 12 Player of the Week won his first set 6-3, but fell in the second, 6-2. The Romanian finished off Garforth-Bles in the final set, 6-3.
Oklahoma’s Mihov put OU ahead 6-0 after he downed Chang in straight set fashion.
OU sustained its only loss at the No. 6 position where Pultr dropped a 7-6, 6-4, contest to Rice’s Seifert.
Next up, OU turns around and hosts No. 32 Baylor on Friday, April 13 at 6 p.m., and 23rd-ranked Texas Tech on Sunday, April 15 at 1 p.m.
No. 13 Oklahoma 6, No. 39 Rice 1
1. #17 Costin Paval (OU) def. Sam Garforth-Bles (RICE) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. #90 Guillermo Alcorta (OU) def. Christian Saravia (RICE) 6-1, 6-1
3. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Jonathan Chang (RICE) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
4. #94 Dane Webb (OU) def. Peter Frank (RICE) 6-3, 6-3
5. #82 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Michael Nuesslein (RICE) 6-2, 6-2
6. Philipp Seifert (RICE) def. David Pultr (OU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 5, 4, 1, 3, 6
1. #13 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OU) def. Christian Saravia/Justin To (RICE) 8-5
2. #70 Tsvetan Mihov/Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Michael Nuesslein/Jonathan Chang (RICE) 8-4
3. Lawrence Formentera/David Pultr (OU) def. Leif Berger/Sam Garforth-Bles (RICE) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3