Feb. 14, 2010
The 11th-ranked University of Oklahoma softball team closed out action at Dot Richardson's National Collegiate Softball Invitational on Sunday morning with a 4-2 loss to 16th ranked Tennessee. Oklahoma (2-1) scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh but the comeback rally fell just short against the Lady Vols (1-2). Junior Chana'e Jones led OU offensively, going 2-for-3 on the day.
Tennessee's Jessica Spigner's third inning grand slam proved to be the difference in the game as the Lady Vols held on late in the seventh to pick up the win.
Spigner's third-inning home run put all four Tennessee runs on the board. In the bottom of the seventh, pinch hitter Evan Sallis singled down the left field line and moved to second on a groundout before scoring on a Keilani Ricketts single up the middle. Amber Flores then scored after reaching base on a hit by pitch. Flores came around on a Jessica Shults single.
- Tennessee leads the all-time series 3-0.
- Oklahoma is now 152-138 all-time against ranked opponents.
- Freshman pitcher Michelle Gascoigne saw action in relief. Gascoigne pitched 4.2 innings, giving up just one walk. She struck out seven.
- Juniors Jones and Haley Nix each went 4-for-7 (.571) on the weekend.
- Shults was OU's RBI leader on the weekend with six.
- Oklahoma opens at home Wednesday with a 3 p.m. CT contest against St. Gregory's. Visit Gameday Central for game information.