NORMAN, Okla. -- The University of Oklahoma men’s tennis team picked up several victories on Sunday while splitting its squad in two competitions this weekend. Two Sooners wrapped up play at the 12th Annual Hurricane Invitational in Tulsa, Okla., while the remainder of the team battled Arkansas at the Navy Invitational in Annapolis, Md., Sunday.
At the Naval Academy Tennis Courts, OU had strong performances against the Razorbacks. The doubles team of junior Alexei Ivanov and senior Silviu Tanasoiu defeated Michael Jung and Matt Simpson, 8-4. Freshmen Federico Chavarria and Razvan Axente teamed up to defeat UA’s Andrei Nicoara and Talley Parker, 8-4. In singles action, Tanasoiu was the only Sooner to come away with a victory when he defeated Parker, 6-1, 6-1. After winning their first sets, Ivanov and sophomore Marek Velicka each lost to their opponents in three-set matches.
At the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa, senior Ondrej Fukala and junior Tommy Garrison were both defeated in singles play. Fukala forced Rohan Gajjar of Arkansas to earn his victory in a three-set match, 6-1,3-6, 6-1, while Garrison fell 6-4, 6-4, to Rice’s Hoony Shin. The double pair also dropped an 8-5 decision to Texas’ Travis Helgeson and Garrett Snyder.
The OU men’s tennis team will continue their fall schedule on Fri., Oct. 1 when the compete in the prestigious ITA All-American Tournament in Chattanooga, Tenn. For daily updates on Oklahoma tennis visit SoonerSports.com.
Naval Academy Tennis Courts
Sept. 24-26, 2004
1. Matt Simpson (Ark.) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Matt Roberts (Ark.) def. Marek Velicka (OU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Imraan Ismail (Ark.) def. Lee Gregg (OU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Talley Parker (Ark.), 6-1, 6-1
5. Andrei Nicoara (Ark.) def. Razvan Axente (OU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Michael Jung (Ark.) def. Frederico Chavarria (OU), 6-1, 6-2
1. Ismail/Roberts (Ark.) def. Gregg/Velicka (OU), 8-3
2. Ivanov/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Jung/Simpson (Ark.), 8-4
3. Axente/Chavarria (OU) def. Nicoara/Parker (Ark.), 8-4
12th Annual Hurricane Invitational
Michael D. Case Tennis Center
Sept. 24-26, 2004
Rohan Gajjar (Ark.) def. Ondrej Fukala (OU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
Hoony Shin (Rice) def. Tommy Garrison (OU) 6-4, 6-4
Helgeson/Snyder (Texas) def. Fukala/Garrison (OU), 8-5