Feb. 26, 2010
NORMAN, Okla. - 26th-ranked Oklahoma (6-1) remains unbeaten at home after defeating No. 43 Minnesota (3-4) Friday, 5-2, inside the Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion.
"Minnesota is a good team," OU head coach John Roddick said. "Traditionally they are a top-30 caliber team. I felt like we played better than we did in our last match, but it still went right down to the wire."
The Sooners came out on fire in the doubles portion of the match. OU's senior Blake Boswell and freshman Lawrence Formentera combined to defeat Minnesota's Dino Bilankov and Julian Dehn at the No. 3 position, 8-1.
The Sooners hot start in doubles was partially due to a change in the pairings.
"That was Silviu's (Tanasoiu) idea and it worked out really well for us," said Roddick. "I think we played a lot more inspired and focused."
OU's hot streak continued into singles action. Sophomore George Chanturia was the first to earn a point for the Sooners, despite starting his match nearly eight minutes later than everyone else. He defeated Minnesota's Dehn in straight-sets, 6-3, 6-2.
The Sooners went up 3-0 after Paval defeated the Gopher's Rok Bonin at the No. 3 spot, 6-4, 7-5.
Minnesota earned its first point when Wernet defeated OU's Ionut Beleleu in straight-sets at the No. 2 position.
Junior David Pultr clinched the match in three-sets for the Sooners after he beat the Gopher's Dino Bilankov, 7-6, 3-6, 6-2.
However, one of the more exciting matches was at the No. 1 position, which saw Daescu (No. 11) pitted against Minnesota's Sebastian Gallego (No. 37). Daescu dropped the first set 4-6, but rallied to take the final two sets, 6-0, 7-6(3).
"For Andrei's confidence that is huge," said Roddick. "One is a tough position to play. I was in his shoes and you play good players every match out. It doesn't matter what team you're playing. You're playing a good player at No. 1. That was a big win and good opportunity for him."
Next up, the Sooners host No. 48 Indiana inside the Gregg Wadley Tennis Pavilion Sunday, Feb. 28, at 11 a.m.
No. 26 Oklahoma 5, No. 43 Minnesota 2
1. #11 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. #37 Sebastian Gallego (MINN), 4-6, 6-0, 7-6(3)
2. #118 Tobias Wernet (MINN) def. #84 Ionut Beleleu (OU), 7-6(7), 6-4
3. #80 Costin Paval (OU) def. Rok Bonin (MINN), 6-4, 7-5
4. David Pultr (OU) def. Dino Bilankov (MINN), 7-6(5), 3-6, 6-2
5. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), retired
6. George Chanturia (OU) def. Julian Dehn (MINN), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 2, 4*, 1
1. Daescu/Paval (OU) def. Gallego/Arndt (MINN), 8-3
2. Wernet/Bonin (MINN) def Beleleu/Pultr (OU), 8-7(6)
3. Formentera/Blake Boswell (OU) def. Bilankov/Dehn (MINN), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2