NORMAN, Okla.The Oklahoma men’s tennis team dominated Hawaii, 6-1, Saturday at the Fertitta Tennis Complex in Las Vegas, Nev. OU improved its record to a flawless 7-0 while the Rainbow Warriors fall to 2-6.
Oklahoma picked up the first point of the match by sweeping doubles. Senior Ondrej Fukala and junior Tommy Garrison proved to much for the duo of Dalibor Ptak and Ryan Sceats at the No. 1 doubles, defeating the pair, 8-3. The duo improves to 4-0 on the season. Sophomore Marek Velicka and senior Silviu Tanasoiu defeated Jarrod Diepraam and Derrick Lajola, 8-3. The pair improves to 5-1 on the season.
The Sooners overpowered Hawaii in singles play, sweeping five of six singles positions in straight-set matches. Velicka defeated Hawaii’s Dalibor Ptak 6-0, 6-3, at the No. 1 singles, earning him a 5-2 singles record on the season. Fukala improves his singles record to 5-0 by defeating Bryon Weinberg, 6-2, 6-2.
After moving up nine spots in the latest ITA ranking, the Sooners are ready to play the first home match of the season Saturday March 5.
Oklahoma 6 def. Hawaii 1
Saturday, February 19, 2005
Fertitta Tennis Complex
Las Vegas, Nev.
1. Marek Velicka (OU) def. Dalibor Ptak (UH) 6-0, 6-3
2. Ondrej Fukala (OU) def. Bryon Weinberg (UH) 7-6, 6-2
3. Ryan Sceats (UH) def. Alexei Ivanov (OU) 7-5, 7-6
4. Silviu Tanasoiu (OU) def. Chad Faulk (UH) 7-6, 7-6
5. Tommy Garrison (OU) def. Derrick LaJola (UH) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lee Gregg (OU) def. Yasuo Sakurai (UH) 6-1, 6-1
1. Garrison/Fukala (OU) def. Ptak/ Ryan Sceats (UH) 8-3
2. Velicka/Tanasoiu (OU) def. Jarrod Diepraam/LaJola (UH) 8-3
3. Ivanov/Ryan Thomas (OU) def. Weinberg/Faulk (UH) 8-5