Sept. 9, 2010
|Oklahoma (5-3) at Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational|
|Info|| vs. Utah | Friday, Sept. 10 | 4:30 p.m CT
vs. Saint Louis | Saturday, Sept. 11 | 10 a.m. CT
at Missouri State | Saturday, Sept. 11 | 7:30 p.m. CT
|Location||Hammons Student Center | Springfield, Mo.|
|Tickets||Available: $5 general admission|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma hit .325 in a five set win at Arkansas Tuesday. The Sooners had five players hit .400 or better.
- It was the highest hitting percentage ever put up by OU in a five-set match in the rally scoring era (2001-present).
- The Sooners are 0-1 against the Missouri Valley Conference this season. OU lost its season opener to Wichita State 3-0.
- OU is 2-0 all-time against the Atlantic 10, previously defeating Dayton (1997) and Rhode Island (1988).
- The Sooners are 8-14 all-time against the Mountain West and 29-37 against the Missouri Valley.
- OU’s 71 kills tied for the league lead in a single match (Nebraska vs. Florida) this season.
- Oklahoma’s .206 team hitting percentage is fifth-best in the Big 12.
- The Sooners have recorded at least five blocks in seven of the eight matches played this season.
- Every player on the Oklahoma roster has seen action this season.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky had 22 kills at Arkansas, a new career high. Boulavsky hit .429 with 42 total attack attempts.
- Boulavsky leads the team in kills per set with 3.48. She’s also averaging a .328 hitting percentage.
- Junior Brianne Barker also set a career high with 57 assists. She had 12 digs for her fourth double-double this season.
- Barker’s 9.65 assists per set ranks fourth in the Big 12. Her 57 assists at Arkansas is the best individual performance in the category this season.
- Senior Sarah Freudenrich hit .400, connecting on 14 of 30 attempts. Freudenrich is hitting .387 overall on the year.
- Freshman Cortney Warren added a season-high 10 kills and OU’s only block solo.
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin hit .600 at Arkansas with seven kills and three block assists. McLaurin leads the team with 1.24 blocks per set.
- Freshman walk-on Eden Williams has started the last two matches.
- Oklahoma head coach Santiago Restrepo was an assistant coach at Saint Louis from 1998-2000.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Utah and OU have met once, during the 1986 season in Springfield, Mo. Utah won 3-0.
- This is the first meeting between Oklahoma and Saint Louis.
- Missouri State leads the series with Oklahoma, 23-6. The two teams last met during the 2006 season with OU winning 3-0 in Fayetteville, Ark.
- OU is 1-6 all-time in Springfield. The two teams last met there in 2001. OU’s only win in Springfield was a 3-2 victory in 1989.
- Oklahoma opens Big 12 play on the road at Colorado on Sept. 15.
- The Sooners return home to face Texas Tech on Sept. 22. It’s OU’s annual Pledge for a Cure fundraiser for the Jimmy Everest Center.
BOULAVSKY, BARKER NAMED TO ALL-TOURNEY TEAMS
Juniors Suzy Boulavsky and Brianne Barker were named to the all-tournament team at the Nike Invitational. Barker was also named to the all-tournament team at the Houston Invitational.
EKWEREKWU A LOWE’S SENIOR CLASS AWARD FINALIST
University of Oklahoma volleyball senior Francie Ekwerekwu (Arlington, Texas) has been named one of 30 finalists for the inaugural Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award for the sport of volleyball. From the list of 30 candidates, a national media committee will select 10 finalists for the 2010 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award in mid-October. Those 10 names will then be placed on the official ballot for a nationwide vote. Fan balloting will be coupled with votes from coaches and media to determine the recipient of the award. The winner will be announced at the 2010 NCAA Division I Women’s Volleyball Championship in December.
DUO NAMED PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12
Senior Francie Ekwerekwu was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 preseason team and junior Brianne Barker was named to the team, as well. Both Barker and Ekwerekwu earned All-Big 12 honorable mention honors last season.
SOONERS SELECTED TO FINISH FOURTH
The University of Oklahoma volleyball team received 65 points to place fourth in the preseason coaches’ poll. Nebraska received nine first-place votes and 98 points to finish just ahead of Texas (91). The Longhorns received two first-place votes. Iowa State (84) was third, followed by OU and Missouri (63). Baylor (52), Texas A&M (48), Kansas (38), Kansas State (37), Texas Tech (15) and Colorado (14) rounded out the voting.