NORMAN, Okla.The No. 59 OU men’s tennis team completed their two-match road trip with a 5-2 win over No. 45 Northwestern Friday at the Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill.
The two teams squared off at 6 p.m. beginning the doubles competition. Frehmen Andrei Daescu and Vaclav Kucera dropped an easy 8-0 decision on the Wildcat tandem of Marc Dwyer and Alex Sanborn at the No. 2 slot.
Competing at No. 3 for Oklahoma was senior Marek Velicka and sophomore Sergey Avdeyev. The duo defeated Northwestern’s Christian Tempke and Juan Gomez, 8-3.
Junior Rob McKenzie and Federico Chavarria represented the Sooners at No.1 doubles but lost a close 8-6 match to Matt Christian and Willy Lock.
In singles action Kucera and No. 55 ranked Daescu picked up quick wins in the No. 1 and 3 spots. McKenzie also picked up an easy win at the No. 4 spot, 6-3, 6-1 over Gomez.
At No. 6, Avdeyev competed against Sanborn dropping the first set 3-6, but battled back to win the next two, 6-1, 6-4.
The win is the second upset for the Sooners this season and improves their overall record to 6-1 overall.
Oklahoma will return to Norman for their second home match of the 2007 Tuesday, Feb. 27. The Sooners will compete in a dual against Cameron and Oklahoma Baptist University. Oklahoma and Cameron will square off at 12 p.m. which will be followed by the Oklahoma Baptist match at three.
Live scoring of the matches will be available at SoonerSports.com in addition to results at the conclusion of each match.
#59 Oklahoma 5, #45 Northwestern 2
1. Vaclav Kucera (OU) def. Christian Tempke (NU) 6-1, 6-6 (9-7)
2. Willy Lock (NU) def. Marek Velicka (OU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. #55 Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Matt Christian (NU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Rob McKenzie (OU) def. Juan Gomez (NU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Marc Dwyer (NU) def. Federico Chavarria (OU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Sergey Avdeyev (OU) def. Alex Sanborn (NU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
1. Matt Christian/Willy Lock (NU) def. Rob McKenzie/Federico Chavarria (OU) 8-6
2. Vaclav Kucera/Andrei Daescu (OU) def. Marc Dwyer/Alex Sanborn (NU) 8-0
3. Marek Velicka/Sergey Avdeyev (OU) def. Christian Tempke/Juan Gomez (NU) 8-2