NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma women’s tennis fell 5-2 Tuesday to No. 54 Tulsa at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa. This was the second of three road matches for the Sooners.
The team lost the doubles point on a very slim margin. The team won at the No. 2 spot with Christi Baxley and Monica Purice defeating Tulsa’s Kindsay Grimes and Carla Zabaleta 8-5. At the No.1 and 3 spots the team fell in two close matches, both ending 8-5.
The team played just as tough in singles, coming out with two victories, both in three set matches.
At No. 2 Purice kept fighting to win in a super tie breaker. She defeated Tulsa’s Zabaleta 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (13).
“Monica fought hard and did well,” said head coach Mark Johnson. “She finished the match, which is what she needed to do.”
Oklahoma’s Lykina also played a tough three setter at the No. 4 spot. Lykina defeated Tulsa’s Thalia Diaz-Barriga 6-4 in the first set. She then lost the second set 2-6 before closing the match 10-4 in a super tie-breaker for the third set.
“I thought we came pretty close in some matches,” said Johnson. "We didn’t close them out. That is something we have to keep working on.”
The Sooners will play one more match on the road Feb. 24, in Tuscaloosa, Ala., before their season home opener on March 1 at the Headington Family Tennis Center.
Oklahoma vs. Tulsa
2/13/2007 at Tulsa, Okla.
#54 Tulsa 5, Oklahoma 2
1. Kindsay Grimes (TLS) def. Gabby Baker (OU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Monica Purice (OU) def. Carla Zabaleta (TLS) 3-6, 6-4, 15-13
3. Santie Delport (TLS) def. Christi Baxley (OU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Irina Lykina (OU) def. Thalia Diaz-Barriga (TLS) 6-4, 2-6, 10-4
5. Agostina Santoro (TLS) def. Chelsea Orr (OU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jenna Webster (TLS) def. Elena Antekova (OU) 6-1, 7-5
1. Santie Delport/Marta Marcinkowska (TLS) def.Gabby Baker/Irina Lykina (OU) 8-5
2. Monica Purice/Christi Baxley (OU) def. Kindsay Grimes/Carla Zabaleta (TLS) 8-5
3. Thalia Diaz-Barriga/Jie Zeng (TLS) def. Chelsea Orr/Rachel Cox (OU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,6,1,4,2)