NORMAN, Okla. -- The Sooners improved to 2-0 on the season with a 4-1 victory over Oral Roberts (0-1) on Sunday at John Crain Field. The win marked OU's third straight in the series with its in-state rival and ninth overall in the 11 all-time meetings.
After tying a school record with eight goals on Friday, the Sooners continued to show its ability to find the back of the net on Sunday. Freshman Whitney Palmer led the OU offense with two goals on four shots as the Sooners outshot the Golden Eagles 16-5. Palmer.
Just like Friday's opener, Palmer jump started the Sooners' attack on Sunday with her first goal scored in the 18th minute. After a corner kick by Kelsey Allison, the ORU defense's attempt to clear the ball out of the defensive zone landed at Palmer's feet, who proceeded to blast a shot from 30 yards out past ORU goalkeeper Stef Gurley.
At the 35:59 mark, Palmer struck again, this time on a nicely placed assist by Caitlin Stojkovic across the ORU box.
Sophomore Kate Leyendecker (41st minute) also scored in the first half to give OU a 3-0 lead at the break. Senior Tenesha Duncan assisted on Leyendecker's second goal of the season.
"We were real satisfied with the win. After the first two games, we have certainly showed that we have some dynamic players in the attack," said OU head coach Randy Evans. "I was also pretty happy with the defense, despite the error in giving up the goal. We have to make sure our play stays consistent as the season progresses."
Four minutes into the second half, Duncan added a goal of her own to extend the lead to four at the 49:02 mark. Duncan's first goal of the season was assisted by freshman Kelsey Allison.
The bid for the second shutout in as many games, ended when ORU's Shakira Duncan beat senior goalkeeper Jennifer Nichols in the 65th minute. Despite allowing the first goal of the season, Nichols improved to 2-0 on the season.
The Sooners' offensive attack has scored 12 goals in the first two games of the season. OU found the back of the net on 30 occasions a year ago.
Oklahoma returns to action next weekend on Friday, Sept. 7 at the Tribe Invitational. The Sooners will play host William and Mary at 6 p.m. in Williamsburg, Va. On Sunday, Sept. 9, OU concludes tournament action against Virginia Commonwealth at 11 a.m. All times listed are Central.
- The Sooners are 9-2 lifetime against the Golden Eagles and have won three straight meetings. OU has outscored ORU by three goals in each of those three games.
- Freshman Whitney Palmer leads the Sooners with three goals after two games. Palmer became the second Sooner this season to score two goals in a single game (Audri Habibi vs. Alabama A&M).
- Under head coach Randy Evans, the Sooners are 32-0-1 when scoring three or more goals.
- For the fourth time in the last seven years, the Sooners have won the first two games of the season (2001, 2002, 2003, 2005).
- Now is his ninth season at OU, Evans is 45-20-5 (.679) against non-conference opponents.