NORMAN, Okla. The University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team fell to No. 22 BYU, 5-2, on Friday at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman. With the loss, the Sooners drop to 4-6 overall and 1-1 in regional competition.
“We played really strong doubles at No. 1 and No. 2,” said OU head coach Mark Johnson. “We got outplayed in the first sets in singles, and it allowed BYU to take control of the match. In the future, we need to come out strong in singles. But I give credit to BYU for the way they played. They’re a strong program.”
Oklahoma won the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. BYU won the first doubles match after Olga Boulytcheva and Lauren Jones defeated juniors Anne Carter and Monica Purice, 8-2. The Sooners came back at No. 1 doubles, where sophomores Gabby Baker and Chelsea Orr handed Anastasia Sourkova and Jennifer Miccoli an 8-5 loss. Sophomore Christi Baxley and junior Irina Lykina took the doubles point by upending Dolly Chang and Sofia Holden, 8-4.
The Sooners struggled in singles and dropped five of the six matches. At No. 3, Purice was the first to fall by dropping a, 6-0, 6-1, decision to Sourkova. Baker, freshman Brittany Baldy, Lykina and Baxley followed with losses at the No. 1, No. 6, No. 2 and No. 4 positions, respectively.
Orr played a closely fought match at No. 5 singles against Chang. Chang won the first set, 7-6 (3), but Orr pushed the match into a third set with a 7-6 (6) win in the second set. Orr outlasted Chang in a third-set super tie-breaker to end the match for the Sooners.
The Sooners will travel to Honolulu, Hawaii, for two matches next week against Hawaii and Hawaii-Pacific on Wednesday, March 15, and one match against Bowdoin on Friday, March 17.
1. Baker/Orr (OU) def. Sourkova/Miccoli (BYU), 8-5
2. Baxley/Lykina (OU) def. Chang/Holden (BYU), 8-4
3. Boulytcheva/Jones (BYU) def. Carter/Purice (OU), 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) def. Gabby Baker (OU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Lauren Jones (BYU) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Anastasia Sourkova (BYU) def. Monica Purice (OU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Sofia Holden (BYU) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Chelsea Orr (OU) def. Dolly Chang (BYU), 6-7 (3), 7-6 (6), 1-0 (10-4)
6. Jenny Miccoli (BYU) def. Brittany Baldy (OU), 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 6, 2, 4, 5