March 11, 2011
TUCSON – The 29th-ranked Oklahoma men’s tennis team downed No. 42 Arizona 5-2 at the LeNelle Robson Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
Oklahoma (7-2) has won five straight contests since falling to then-No. 13 Louisville back on Feb. 11.
"We played very good doubles today and that gave us momentum going into singles," John Roddick said. "We played extremely well at 1 and 4 singles. It was a good effort at the top-four singles spots today."
The Sooners jumped out to a 1-0 lead after earning the doubles point for the second consecutive match.
OU’s Costin Paval and Peerakit Siributwon struck first after claiming a win at the No. 2 doubles spot over Arizona’s Mario Urguidi and Andre Vidaller, 8-4.
The Sooner duo of Tsvetan Mihov and Ionut Beleleu clinched the point for OU after they trounced the Wildcats’ Geoff Embry and Jason Zafiros, 8-2.
Oklahoma continued its winning trend in singles as OU gained points at the No. 1, 4 and 2 positions.
Paval, ranked No. 59 nationally, took over the No. 1 position for the Sooners and did not skip a beat as he defeated UA’s No. 107-ranked Andres Carrasco in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. The Romanian native remains undefeated on the year and boasts an 8-0 record on the year.
Siributwong earned the Sooners second win in singles action after the nation’s No. 105-ranked singles players defeated UA’s Embry, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 4 spot.
Arizona won the next two points after winning at the No. 5 and 6 positions but the Sooners quickly ended the rally by clinching the match at the No. 2 spot.
At the No. 2 spot, Beleleu dropped his first set, 6-4, but rallied to take the next two sets over Arizona’s Zafiros, 6-2, 6-2.
The Sooners continue their tour of the west coast when they battle San Diego State on Sunday, March 13 at 1 p.m.
|No. 29 Oklahoma 5, No. 42 Arizona 2|
1. Mihov/Beleleu (OU) def. Embry/Zafiros (UA), 8-2
2. Paval/Siributwong (OU) def. Urquidi/Vidaller (UA), 8-4
3. Formentera/Gavrila (OU) def. Carrasco/Thompson (UA), 6-2 (ret.)
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. No. 59 Costin Paval (OU) def. No. 107 Andres Carrasco (UA), 6-3, 6-2
2. No. 28 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Jason Zafiros (UA), 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Andre Vidaller (UA) vs. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU), 6-4, 4-6, 4-2 (For.)
4. No. 105 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Geoff Embry (UA), 6-3, 6-2
5. Kieren Thompson (UA) def. Tsvetan Mihov (OU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Lawrence Formentera (OU), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 2*, 3