Feb. 14, 2003
NORMAN, Okla.- The Oklahoma women's gymnastics team finished with a vengeance, putting Iowa away 196.600-194.194.725 during the final rotation Friday night at the Lloyd Noble Center in front of a season-high crowd of 706. The Sooners improve to 5-6 on the season and extend their home winning streak to eight meets.
"This is the first meet this season that we didn't count any falls," said OU Head Coach Steve Nunno. "That is something we have to do if we want to compete for nationals and the Big 12 crown. I was proud of the team for picking each other up when things didn't go perfect. Ironically floor won the meet for us tonight and last week it was our worst event. That is a great sign because it shows we are improving."
Senior Patricia Aoki tied for first in the all-around with a score of 39.500, which ties the career-high she set last weekend. Aoki finished second on the floor, tying another career-high with a 9.925.
Sophomore Allison Landis hit on a near perfect bars routine scoring a 9.925 and taking the top spot on the event. Freshman Melissa Smith swung to a career-high 9.850 on bars and a fourth place finish.
Stephanie Gran of Iowa landed the only perfect 10 of the evening and took first place on vault, while Aoki landed in second (9.900) and freshman Katie Hostler in third (9.850).
Seniors Aoki and Christy Gerard scored identical 9.900's on the balance beam, as OU collected its highest team score (49.275) on beam this season.
The Sooners were behind after the each of the first three rotations and headed to the final rotation behind by .15. OU posted a season-high team score on floor with a 49.300, while Iowa struggled on beam scoring 47.725.
"I told them we needed to rally and really take it home on the floor," said Nunno. "It was a great event to end on because we showed off for our fans. I am very encouraged in the fact that we learned form the mistakes we made last week. This is great score for us and something we can improve on with a few minor adjustments and corrections."
Women's gymnastics returns to Big 12 action as they host a dual with Missouri, Friday, Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m., inside the Lloyd Noble Center. Admission is $5 for adults and $2 for children. For more information on tickets, call (800) 456-GoOU.
Team ResultsVaultBarsBeam FloorFinal
No. 16 Oklahoma48.95049.07549.27549.300196.600 No. 17 Iowa49.27549.15047.27549.025194.725
Top Three Finishers and OU Results
1. (tie) Patricia Aoki 39.500 1.tie)Stephanie Gran, UI 39.500 3. Annie Rue, UI 39.275 4. Allison Landis 38.775
1. Stephanie Gran, UI10.000 2. Patricia Aoki9.900 3. Katie Hostler9.850 6. Kasie Tamayo 9.800 9. Erin Labarr 9.700 9. (tie) Allison Landis9.700 11. Nicole Gause9.675
1. Allison Landis9.925 2. Alexis Maday, UI9.900 3. Annie Rue, UI9.875 4. Melissa Smith9.850 7. Patricia Aoki9.775 7. (tie) Tara Anderson9.775 9. Kasie Tamayo 9.750 12. Karina Agafonova9.300
1. (tie)Christy Gerard9.900 1. (tie) Patricia Aoki9.900 3. Annie Rue, UI9.875 4. Melissa Smith9.850 5. Kelly Haggerty9.825 6. Nicole Gause 9.800 9. Allison Landis9.325
1. Stephani Gran, UI9.950 2. Patricia Aoki9.925 3. Katie Hostler9.875 3. (tie)Meredith Fricke9.875 5. Allison Landis9.825 6. Karina Agafonova9.800 12. Christy Gerard9.300