Dec. 2, 2010
|2010 NCAA Women's Volleyball Championship First & Second Rounds|
Friday, December 3, 2010
|Location||McCasland Field House | Norman, Okla.|
|Tickets||All-Session Tickets Available|
|Online||Live Stats | Tournament Central | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma volleyball team returns to the NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship for a second consecutive season. The Sooners (21-10) were selected to host first and second round action, beginning Friday in Norman. Tulsa and No. 13 seed LSU open action at 5 p.m. followed by OU and Wichita State at 7:30 p.m. CT. Friday's winners advance to the sub-regional championship Saturday at 2 p.m. CT with a trip to the Sweet 16 in University Park, Pa. A live webcast and live statistics of all matches will be available free of charge at SoonerSports.com.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma finished the regular season with a 21-10 mark, it's fourth 20-plus win season in the Big 12 era (1996-present).
- The Sooners finished conference play with a 13-7 mark, its most since winning 13 in 2007 and 1997. The most is 17 in 2006.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU's losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
- The Sooners have produced their best offensive output since 2006 this season. OU is hitting .226 as a team and averages 13.53 kills per set.
- The 2006 team that reached the Sweet 16 and had two All-Americans hit .262 and averaged 16.28 kills per set.
- Likewise, OU is having its best season in the front row since 2006. The Sooners are averaging 2.25 blocks per set, the most since 3.13 in 2006.
- Oklahoma is 3-7 against the RPI top 50 this year. Seven of OU's 10 losses have come to teams ranked in the top 25.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Sallie McLaurin was named the 2010 Big 12 Freshman of the Year and to the All-Freshman team. McLaurin led OU with a 1.24 per set average.
- Her .319 hitting percentage is also a team-best and ranks seventh among all players in the Big 12.
- McLaurin earned Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors three times this season - November 1, October 12 and 19.
- She ranks in the top 35 in the nation in blocks per set. She's fourth in the Big 12 and 34th in the nation with 1.24 bps.
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for BS (28) and BA (110) and second in blocks per set average (1.24).
- McLaurin's 138 TB are also an OU 25-point rally scoring single season record. It's the most since Laura Tomes (140) and Elaine Santos (180) in 2006.
- Juniors Brianne Barker and Suzy Boulavsky were named to the All-Big 12 first team.
- Barker and Boulavsky are the third and fourth players to earn the honor. Santos (2006) and Patrice Arrington (1997) were the other two.
- Barker is the sixth Sooner setter to record 3,000-plus career assists. Barker has 3,289 assists.
- Barker averages 10.36 assists per set overall, a mark that is 73rd in the nation.
- Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.55 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 28 matches this year.
- Boulavsky's 419 kills this season are an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. The previous was set by Boulavsky in 2009 (320).
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has eight matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 19 service aces.
- Senior Sarah Freudenrich is second on the team with a.309 hitting percentage and 0.89 blocks per set average.
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team. Boulavsky earned Academic All-America third team honors.
- Oklahoma led the league with seven players named to the Academic All-Big 12 first team.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP
- The Sooners are making their second consecutive appearance in the NCAA Championship and fourth in the last five years.
- OU has been to four NCAA Championships under head coach Santiago Restrepo and has a 3-3 mark in those matches.
- Oklahoma is 6-6 all-time in NCAA Championship matches. OU has made two Sweet 16 appearances (2006, 1988).
- The University of Oklahoma is hosting its first NCAA Volleyball event.
- The Sooners are 5-8 against the NCAA Championship field of 64 with wins over Missouri (twice), Iowa State, Missouri State and Miami.
A LOOK AT NO. 15 LSU
- LSU is ranked No. 15 in the latest AVCA Division I Coaches Poll. The Tigers earned the No. 13 national seed.
- The Tigers are making a school-record sixth straight NCAA Championship appearance and their 12th overall.
- LSU reached the Final Four during the 1990 and 1991 seasons.
- The Tigers finished first in the Southeastern Conference western division.
- LSU leads the all-time series with Oklahoma, 8-3. The two schools previously met in 1999. OU has not defeated the Tigers since 1979.
- Oklahoma leads the series 2-1 in Norman. The Tigers hold a 3-0 advantage in Baton Rouge and 4-1 at neutral sites.
A LOOK AT NO. 22 TULSA
- Tulsa is ranked No. 22 in the latest AVCA Division I Coaches Poll.
Tulsa is making its second appearance ever in the NCAA Championship. Its first came in 2007.
- It its previous appearance, the Golden Hurricane fell in straight sets at Kansas State.
- The Golden Hurricane received Conference USA's automatic bid after winning the conference tournament.
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series with Tulsa 32-1. TU won the last meeting between the two schools (3-1, 9/14/02 in Tulsa).
- The Sooners are 15-0 against the Golden Hurricane in Norman and 13-1 in Tulsa. OU leads 4-0 at neutral sites.
A LOOK AT WICHITA STATE
- Wichita State is making its fifth trip to the NCAA Championship, its fourth straight appearance.
- The Shockers are 4-4 all-time in the tournament. WSU has never advanced past the second round.
- The Shockers finished second in the Missouri Valley Conference behind No. 5 national seed Northern Iowa.