OU Loses to No. 25 Yale in Fayetteville
Feb. 11, 2012
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The 31st-ranked Oklahoma women’s tennis team lost to No. 25 Yale, 6-1, Saturday in Fayetteville, Ark., on the University of Arkansas’ campus.
“Yale showed us today why they are having a great season,” OU head coach David Mullins said. “They were clearly the better team and deserved the win.”
The loss was OU’s third straight, with two of those three losses coming to top 25 opponents. OU lost its fourth doubles point of the season against Yale after the Bulldogs swept all three matches.
“I was thrilled with Whitney Ritchie’s performance this weekend,” Mullins added. “She was an outstanding leader and competitor. Marie-Pier and Mia also showed me how far they have come and matured.”
Ritchie won OU’s only dual point against Yale. The sophomore defeated Blair Seideman of Yale at the No. 2 singles spot, 6-3, 6-1.
“We need our new players to start embracing the pressures of college tennis and I am hopeful that will occur this weekend now that we are back on home territory,” Mullins said.
The Sooners return home for two matches this week. OU faces Iowa on Saturday, Feb. 18 at 1 p.m., and TCU on Sunday, Feb. 19 at noon.
No. 25 Yale 6, No. 31 Oklahoma 1
1. No. 16 Brook/Yu (Yale) def. No. 22 Huet/Ritchie (OU), 8-4
2. Epstein/Sullivan (Yale) def. Long/Wofford (OU), 8-1
3. Kent/Seideman (Yale) def. Lancaster, M./Melrose (OU), 8-4
1. Eliabeth Epstein (Yale) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-0, 3-6, 1-0 (5)
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Blair Seideman (Yale), 6-3, 6-1
3. Hanna Yu (Yale) def. Mia Lancaster (OU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Annie Sullivan (Yale) def. Abbi Melrose (OU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Stephanie Kent (Yale) def. Nicole Long (OU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Amber Li (Yale) def. Whitney Wofford (OU), 7-6(2), 6-4