Nov. 16, 2010
|Oklahoma (19-8, 11-5 Big 12) at No. 5 Nebraska (24-2, 16-1 Big 12)|
|Date||Wednesday, November 17, 2010 | 7 p.m. CT|
|Location||NU Coliseum | Lincoln, Neb.|
|Television||CBS College Sports|
|Online||Live Stats | Match Notes | Twitter|
NORMAN, Okla. - The University of Oklahoma volleyball team returns to action Wednesday evening with a 7 p.m. CT contest against the fifth-ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers at NU Coliseum. Live stats are available at SoonerSports.com.
The Sooners are fresh off an upset of then-No. 14 Iowa State, downing the Cyclones in four sets Saturday morning at McCasland Field House (24-26, 25-21, 25-20, 25-23). OU held the Cyclones to a .162 hitting percentage, well-below their season averages of .268 (overall) and .252 (conference only).
Oklahoma faces a challenge in Lincoln as OU has never won inside NU Coliseum (0-30). The Huskers have a 26-match win streak entering the contest and defeated the Sooners in four sets in Norman on Sept. 29.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma got its biggest win of the season, downing No. 14 Iowa State in four sets Saturday morning (24-26, 25-21, 25-20, 25-23).
- The Sooners held the Cyclones to a .162 hitting percentage, well-below their season averages of .268 (overall) and .252 (conference only).
- It was OU's first win over a ranked opponent this season and the Sooners' first since sweeping No. 21 Texas A&M in College Station in 2009.
- OU is seeking its 20th win of the season. In the Big 12 era, the Sooners have totaled 20-plus wins three times (22, 2007; 28, 2006; 20, 1997).
- Oklahoma has had 11 or more Big 12 wins just four times previously (11, 2009; 13, 2007; 17, 2006; 13, 1997).
- Oklahoma is 9-3 at home this season and 6-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 8-3 on the road and 5-3 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU's losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin has earned Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors three times this season - November 1, October 12 and 19.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 25 in the nation in blocks per set. She's third in the Big 12 and 24th in the nation with 1.29 bps.
- McLaurin's average is the third-best by a freshman in the NCAA this year.
- McLaurin holds the Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record for BS (27), BA (97) and blocks per set average (1.29).
- McLaurin has 73 blocks in Big 12 play (19 BS/54 BA), a freshman mark last reached by Baylor's Torri Campbell in 2009 (6 BS/66 BA/72 TB).
- The last freshman to have more total blocks in conference play was Kansas' Josiane Lima in 2002 (15 BS/59 BA/74 TB).
- In the rally scoring era, the only Sooner to have more block solos than her 19 in conference matches is All-American Eliane Santos (32; 2006).
- McLaurin's 124 TB are also an OU 25-point rally scoring single season record. It's the most since Laura Tomes (140) and Santos (180) in 2006.
- Junior Brianne Barker is the sixth Sooner setter to record 3,000-plus career assists. Barker has 3,117 assists.
- Barker averages 10.20 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league and 80th in the nation.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.49 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 24 matches this year.
- Boulavsky's 359 kills this season are an Oklahoma 25-point rally scoring single season record. The previous was set by Boulavsky in 2009 (320).
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has seven matches with 23 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for 21 service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .332 hitting percentage. She's 100th in the nation in the category.
- Boulavsky and Caitlin Higgins were named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District team.
- Boulavsky earned first team honors while Higgins was named to the third team.
A LOOK AT NEBRASKA
- Nebraska is 24-2 overall with a 16-1 mark in league play. The Cornhuskers are No. 5 in the latest AVCA Division I Coaches Poll.
- The Huskers are 11-0 at home this year and 8-0 inside the NU Coliseum during conference matches.
- Brooke Delano leads the nation in hitting percentage (.436) and is tops in the Big 12 in blocks per set (1.46).
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Nebraska leads the all-time series with Oklahoma, 73-6 and holds a 30-0 advantage in matches played in Lincoln.
- The Sooners are 0-13 against the Cornhuskers under head coach Santiago Restrepo (0-6 in Lincoln).
- Oklahoma's last win against Nebraska was Oct. 10, 1997 in Norman (3-0).
- Oklahoma is 9-52 all-time against ranked opponents and 1-6 this season. OU is 2-28 against top 10 teams under Restrepo.
- OU took the opening set from No. 3 Nebraska 25-18 on Sept. 29, but the Huskers to win the final three sets -17, -17, -24 to win the match.
- Barker and Higgins each had double-doubles. Barker had 39 assists and 12 digs, while Higgins had 10 kills and 15 digs.