Oct. 19, 2010
|Texas A&M (9-10, 3-6 Big 12) at Oklahoma (14-6, 6-3 Big 12)|
|Date||Wednesday, October 20, 2010 | 7 p.m. CT|
|Location||McCasland Field House | Norman, Okla.|
|Tickets||Available: $8 adults | $5 youth|
|Promotions||Student Night | DJ Hero Giveaway|
|Online||Webcast | Match Notes | Twitter|
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA AS A TEAM
- Oklahoma swept Kansas in Lawrence Saturday night (-22, -12, -20). OU hit a (25-point rally scoring) school-record best .390 as a team.
- OU committed just nine total errors against the Jayhawks. Only two of those were unforced.
- The Sooners rank in the top five in the Big 12 in assists (fifth), kills (fifth), blocks (fifth) and digs (fifth).
- Oklahoma is 5-3 at home this season and 2-2 in Big 12 play at McCasland Field House. OU is 7-1 on the road and 4-1 on the road in league play.
- Oklahoma went 8-3 in non-conference play. Two of OU’s losses were to ranked Florida State (13) and Tennessee (17) teams.
A LOOK AT OKLAHOMA INDIVIDUALLY
- Freshman Sallie McLaurin was named the Big 12 Rookie of the Week for a second consecutive week on Oct. 19.
- McLaurin posted 27.5 points on the week and averaged 2.71kills and a league-best 1.71 blocks per set. She also hit .471.
- McLaurin ranks in the top 20 in the nation in blocks per set. She’s third in the Big 12 and 16th in the nation with 1.35 bps.
- After missing the Iowa State match due to personal reasons, junior Caitlin Higgins has rebounded to contribute all-around.
- Higgins averaged just 1.77 kills per set in non-conference action and has rebounded to average 2.30 per set in conference play.
- Junior setter Brianne Barker has had five double-doubles in the last six matches. Barker is averaging 10.77 assists per set in those matches.
- Barker averages 10.21 assists per set overall, a mark that is third-best in the league. That tally ranks in the nation’s top 75.
- Junior Suzy Boulavsky continues to lead the Sooners with 3.43 kills per set. She has posted double-digit kills in 17 matches this year.
- Sophomore libero María Fernanda has six matches with 20 or more digs this season.
- OU has gotten valuable minutes from freshmen walk-ons Eden Williams and Mindy Gowen. The two have combined for nine service aces.
- OU is strong at the middle blocker position. In addition to McLaurin, senior Sarah Freudenrich is also starting at the position.
- Freudenrich leads the team with a .351 hitting percentage, connecting on 143 of her 296 attempts (39 errors).
A LOOK AT TEXAS A&M
- Texas A&M opened conference play with a win against then No. 8 Texas but since starting 3-1 has dropped five straight.
- Kelsey Black leads the Aggies with 4.00 kills per set. Black leads the conference in service aces per set (0.42) and points per set (4.85)
- Elise Hendrickson has seen action in just more than half of A&M’s conference sets and leads the team with a .267 hitting percentage.
- Defensively, the Aggies are led by Tori Mellinger’s 4.42 digs per set and Stephanie Minnerly’s 1.08 blocks per set.
A LOOK AT THE SERIES HISTORY
- Oklahoma has just six series wins against Texas A&M. The Sooners are 7-5 against the Aggies under head coach Santiago Restrepo.
- OU is 14-2 against A&M in Norman and 4-2 against the Aggies in Norman under Restrepo.
- Oklahoma travels to Texas Tech this weekend to open the second half of the conference slate.