LAS VEGAS, Nev. - The University of Oklahoma women's tennis team fell 7-0 to UNLV on Saturday at the Darling Memorial Tennis Center in Las Vegas, Nev.
The No. 61 Sooners dropped tough matches in doubles at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. At the No. 1 spot, sophomore Gabby Baker and junior Irina Lykina lost a closely fought match, 9-8, to Elena Gantcheva and Nikol Dimitrova. At the No. 2 slot, sophomore Chelsea Orr and junior Monica Purice fell to Sharon Marin and Claire Smith, 9-7. Junior Anne Carter and sophomore Christi Baxley also competed in doubles at No. 3 but were defeated by Cindy Treber and Mery Constanti, 8-3.
In singles, Oklahoma lost in straight sets in three of the six matches. At the No. 3 position, Purice won the first set against Marin, 6-4, but fell in the second and third sets, 6-0, 1-0 (6). Orr and freshman Gabriela Nastasa also took their first sets at No. 5 and No. 6 singles but dropped their matches with losses in the second and third sets.
With the win, the 44th-ranked Lady Rebels improved to 7-4 overall and 5-1 all-time against the Sooners. Oklahoma falls to 4-4 overall in spring matches.
The Sooners return to action on March 8 when they travel to Ft. Worth, Texas, to face No. 13 TCU.
1. Gantcheva/Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Lykina/Baker (OU), 9-8
2. Marin/Smith (UNLV) def. Orr/Purice (OU), 9-7
3. Treber/Mery Constanti (UNLV) def. Anne Carter/Baxley (OU), 8-3
1. No. 18 Elena Gantcheva (UNLV) def. Gabby Baker (OU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Nikol Dimitrova (UNLV) def. Irina Lykina (OU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Sharon Marin (UNLV) def. Monica Purice (OU), 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (6)
4. Cindy Treber (UNLV) def. Christi Baxley (OU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Claire Smith (UNLV) def. Chelsea Orr (OU), 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 (3)
6. Linda Tempelfelde (UNLV) def. Gabriela Nastasa (OU), 6-7, 6-1, 1-0 (6)