Feb. 22, 2013
NORMAN, Okla. – The 36th-ranked University of Oklahoma women’s tennis team won the last three matches for a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over Iowa on Friday, Feb. 22, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
“We definitely looked shaky at times tonight and I will give a lot of credit to Iowa for playing some great tennis.” Mullins continued. “Ultimately we found a way to get to four and we got a little better in the process.”
Down 3-1 after Iowa won the first three singles points, the Sooners stormed back to win the final three points.
The score tied at three, Hermon Brhane won OU’s fourth point to clinch the victory over the Hawkeyes. The junior defeated Ruth Seaborne at the No. 1 spot, 6-7, 6-3, 6-4.
“Everyone has found a way to contribute these last couple of weeks without (Whitney) Ritchie in our lineup, and this team deserves a lot of credit to get through this stretch without her.” OU head coach David Mullins said.
Oklahoma opened the competition by winning the doubles point with a victory at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Zita Engbroks and Whitney Wofford defeated Christina Harazin and Katie Zordani, 8-6. Mia Lancaster and Abbi Melrose topped Annette Dohanics and Cailtin Hindmarsh, 8-5.
The Sooners dropped the first three singles points at the No. 2, 5 and 6 positions to give Iowa a 3-1 lead.
Oklahoma continued to fight and took the last three singles matches to secure the victory.
Wofford won OU’s first singles point at the No. 4 spot, beating Zordani, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3. Melrose’s, 6-3, 6-7, 6-3, victory over Morven McCulloch tied the match, 3-3.
“We will have to play better on Sunday but I am confident we will rise to the occasion.” Mullins added.
Oklahoma travels to Champaign, Ill. to face No. 34 Illinois Sunday, Feb. 24, at 12 p.m.
No. 36 Oklahoma 4, Iowa 3
1. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. #36 Hermon Brhane/Whitney Ritchie (OU) 8-8, 7-5
2. Zita Engbroks/Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Christina Harazin/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 8-6
3. Mia Lancaster/Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Annette Dohanics/Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) 8-5
1. #87 Hermon Brhane (OU) def. #123 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 6-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Mia Lancaster (OU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
4. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
5. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Zita Engbroks (OU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Emma Devine (OU) 7-5, 6-0
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 5, 2, 6