Feb. 13, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The 24th-ranked Oklahoma men's tennis team finished its weekend road trip with a win after defeating No. 45 Indiana, 4-2, at the IU Indoor Tennis Center Sunday.
The Sooners (3-2) bounced back after being edged out, 4-3, by 13th-ranked Louisville on Friday. For the second consecutive match the Sooners dropped the doubles point. However, unlike the last outing OU rallied to defeat the Hoosiers after taking four out of five singles matches.
"We did a great job in singles today," John Roddick said. "We showed signs of improvement, but we have to get much better in doubles. Overall, it was a good road win and we did a good job adjusting to the speed of their courts."
OU’s lone doubles victory came at the No. 3 spot where newcomers Peerakit Siributwong and Laurentiu Gavrila defeated the Hoosiers’ Will Kendall and Isade Juneau, 8-4.
In singles the Sooners took straight-set victories at the No. 1 and No. 6 spots to gain a 2-1 advantage over the Hoosiers. Twenty-seventh ranked Ionut Beleleu won in identical sets, 6-2, over IU’s Jeremy Langer at the No. 1 position, while Lawrence Formentera gained a win over the Hoosier’s Stephen Vogl, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 6 spot.
IU evened the score, 2-2, after Santiago Gruter defeated the Sooners’ Gavrila at the No. 3 position.
That was the final scoring opportunity for the Hoosiers as OU clinched the match after completing straight-set wins at the No. 5 and 2 spots.
Tsvetan Mihov led the way for the Sooners with a 6-3, 6-4 win over IU’s Juneau at the No. 5 spot. Costin Paval, ranked No. 57, closed out the dual with an impressive win over the Hoosiers’ Josh MacTaggart, 6-3, 7-5.
Next up, the Sooners travel to Tulsa, Okla., on Friday, Feb. 25, to take on Oklahoma State in the first edition of Bedlam this year.
No. 24 Oklahoma 4, Indiana 2
1. Langer/Gruter (IU) def. #24 Beleleu/Paval (OU), 8-2
2. MacTaggart/Vogl (IU) def. #38 Warden/Formentera (OU), 8-1
3. Siributwong/Gavrila (OU) dec. Will Kendall/Juneau (IU), 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #27 Ionut Beleleu (OU) def. Jeremy Langer (IU), 6-2, 6-2
2. #57 Costin Paval (OU) def. Josh MacTaggart (IU), 6-3, 7-5
3. Santiago Gruter (IU) def. Laurentiu Gavrila (OU), 6-4, 6-2
4. #70 Peerakit Siributwong (OU) def. Claes Goransson (IU), 6-3, 5-3, DNF
5. Tsvetan Mihov (OU) def. Isade Juneau (IU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Lawrence Formentera (OU) def. Stephen Vogl (IU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 6, 3, 5, 2*